healthy = $$$

SciFiMan

:
2005 Tribute S
So I'm 7 weeks into The ABS Diet. (Great book I recommend about a healthy eating lifestyle. I can fit back into my 34 waist clothes. So my suits fit again and I can go on job interviews). My major complaint is why, in this country of every damn thing you could ever want, does it cost more to eat naturally healthy foods, salads, nuts, smoothies, etc. than it does to eat crap and gain weight? No wonder America is so overweight. In this economy all we can afford is food that will kill us. Even whole wheat bread costs more than the fake, extra processing, nutrient-free, vitamins-added-back-in white bread. How f**ked up is that!

A Dew and a bag of Flamin Hots for breakfast may not be healthy, but it's cheap and yummy.

I agree. I try to eat healthy as much as I can, and I actually LIKE healthy food more that junk food. The problem is that I bought my first house, have a girlfriend, and drive an MSP. A lot of times breakfast consists of coffee and a candy bar at work. NOT GOOD :(

Government subsidies...at least on a larger scale. Also Mcdonalds is evil in case you didn't know. The reason Mcdonalds can cook so cheap is that they use Brazilian beef. The beef is raised on grazing land that used to be rainforest. If you eat at McDonalds you are passively supporting the destruction of rainforests. Taco Bell uses Grade D meat as does most of the public school systems in America. Back to the subsidies. The beef, dairy, seafood, poultry, and pork industries in America...more specifically the farms that produce it are not profitable organizations. In 1994 worldwide fishing industries spent $124 million dollars to catch $70 million dollars worth of fish...the other $54 million dollars was paid by government subsidies and more importantly by taxpayers. It takes 16lbs of grain to make 1lb of meat for human consumption. If we would stop feeding all the grain to the cows and just eat the grain we would have enough to feed everyone on the planet...for cheap.

Oh yea...and my cholesteral is less than 150

xelderx said:
Government subsidies...at least on a larger scale. Also Mcdonalds is evil in case you didn't know. The reason Mcdonalds can cook so cheap is that they use Brazilian beef. The beef is raised on grazing land that used to be rainforest. If you eat at McDonalds you are passively supporting the destruction of rainforests. Taco Bell uses Grade D meat as does most of the public school systems in America. Back to the subsidies. The beef, dairy, seafood, poultry, and pork industries in America...more specifically the farms that produce it are not profitable organizations. In 1994 worldwide fishing industries spent $124 million dollars to catch $70 million dollars worth of fish...the other $54 million dollars was paid by government subsidies and more importantly by taxpayers. It takes 16lbs of grain to make 1lb of meat for human consumption. If we would stop feeding all the grain to the cows and just eat the grain we would have enough to feed everyone on the planet...for cheap.

Good points. I would highly recomend anyone interested in thise kind of info. read Mad Cowboy.

xelderx said:

We'll get right on that initiative to force people into eating a loaf of bread a day, nothing more.

OK, so maybe we'll give them a choice. Cream of Wheat, Ramen Noodles, or bread.

Don't mind me if I sound sarcastically cranky - I'm coming down off my sugar high from the breakfast of Famous Amos mini-cookies and an ice cold can of Dew.

Books everyone should read:

Diet for a New America
Mad Cowboy
Silent Spring

"Mad Cowboy" is especially good since it is written by a former American rancher and really shows how bad the meat industry is killing everything, but it also shows how someone can change their lives for the betterment of everyone and everything. "Diet for a New America" is written by John Robbins, of the Baskin Robbins family. He gave up his position to take over the family business and fortune to speak out against the meat and dairy industries. He also shows just how bad things are in the American diet and how some of the most deadly chemicals known to man like DDT, Dioxin, and Heptachlor are still measurable in toxic doses in food animals that are sent to the slaughterhouses. Heart disease, Hypertension (high blood pressure), Arteriosclerosis, Osteoperosis and other things that kill people everyday are products of what people eat. Know anyone that died of cancer? Vegan's that don't smoke don't get cancer, period, and they take much less of a toll on the enviroment. Vegans are not weak skinny people. There are Vegans in lots of professional sports from marathon running to weightlifting.

I'm not trying to sound self-righteous or better than anyone else...this isn't about me. It's about the enviroment and everyone that lives in it. We should all try to leave this world better than we found it and a society so habitually involved in the pointless killing of animals for food is only weakening the enviroment and accelerating the decline to the point where we will no longer be able to sustain ourselves off of it.

xelderx said:
I'm not trying to sound self-righteous or better than anyone else...this isn't about me. It's about the enviroment and everyone that lives in it. We should all try to leave this world better than we found it and a society so habitually involved in the pointless killing of animals for food is only weakening the enviroment and accelerating the decline to the point where we will no longer be able to sustain ourselves off of it.

Sounds like something I'd read on an insight board :)

And I cry myself to sleep every night when I think about the plants that die for the vegan population's self-fulfilling needs. Just hearing the roots ripping from the soil...*shudders*

Sorry, I'd love to offer actual argumentation (as I'm compelled to whenever anyone takes a "categorical imperative"-ish type declared "we all need to live like this" stance), but I'm lacking the sufficient information to do so...and as such, you just get my assholish side :/

blizz81 said:
Sounds like something I'd read on an insight board :)

And I cry myself to sleep every night when I think about the plants that die for the vegan population's self-fulfilling needs. Just hearing the roots ripping from the soil...*shudders*

Sorry, I'd love to offer actual argumentation (as I'm compelled to whenever anyone takes a "categorical imperative"-ish type declared "we all need to live like this" stance), but I'm lacking the sufficient information to do so...and as such, you just get my assholish side :/
Thats cool. Don't worry I get blasted enough at work for my lifestyle, but they know that I never call in sick and I can sit and eat stuff all day and never gain weight. Somewhere down the line our great-great grandkids are going to wish we had done things differently.

xelderx said:
Somewhere down the line our great-great grandkids are going to wish we had done things differently.

Yeah, I suppose that's true among an array of lifestyle topics (both in terms of unfounded musings, as well as actual changes we possibly could have made, but didn't). Such is the idea of human 'progression' though. But hey, it takes people on all sides to spin this globe, including those that sacrifice gravely for their causes, as well as the skeptic-ish agnostics that poke fun back at them.

I still think you should sell the P5 and ride a bike. You know, for the environment's sake :) *runs and hides*

blizz81 said:
Yeah, I suppose that's true among an array of lifestyle topics (both in terms of unfounded musings, as well as actual changes we possibly could have made, but didn't). Such is the idea of human 'progression' though. But hey, it takes people on all sides to spin this globe, including those that sacrifice gravely for their causes, as well as the skeptic-ish agnostics that poke fun back at them.

I still think you should sell the P5 and ride a bike. You know, for the environment's sake :) *runs and hides*
I've rode my bicycle to work several times. About a 20 minute ride, but when I got my greyhound I have to get back in time during lunch break to take it outside and I couldn't get back in time on the bike. I'm not an extremist to that extent, but I try and cut corners where I can and I've found that I enjoy the challenges of eating and shopping differently. My Pro5 is one of the view things I have to escape from my problems for a few hours. Without it I would probably go insane with no outlet for my stress.

xelderx said:
...when I got my greyhound...
Bud of mine says greyhounds are Vietnamese fast food.

We all agree that eating nutritiously, maintaining correct weight, keeping the cholesterol and blood pressure down, and exercising daily is good for us.

Got news, we die anyway. :(

gino said:
Bud of mine says greyhounds are Vietnamese fast food.

We all agree that eating nutritiously, maintaining correct weight, keeping the cholesterol and blood pressure down, and exercising daily is good for us.

Got news, we die anyway. :(
Ha, yea...it's scary to think what other cultures eat sometimes. I know we all die sooner or later, but something in me just makes me try extra hard not to kill myself, plus I just feel a lot better these days. My change wasn't that severe since I wasn't overweight or unhealthy to begin with due to my active lifestyle, but now I just feel so much lighter and more energetic...the only thing that really bothers me is my stupid spring allergies and there isn't anything I can do to help that.

xelderx said:
the only thing that really bothers me is my stupid spring allergies and there isn't anything I can do to help that.

The only answer for me is something with pseudoephedrine...which is a great solution (if you're a closet methamphetamine addict).

gino said:

Got news, we die anyway.

Yeah...and if my soul was left over, it'd be so pissed at me if I'd tried to spend my life being the epitome of healthy and died early, or even worse, of a heart attack or something. "All that tofu....for THIS? You're in for an eternity of hurt, buddy!"

Of course, I'm still 6'1 145lbs, so I'll keep packin down those 20pc chicken mcnuggets with little to no remorse. For now. :D

Back