MYTH or FACT....

JCell

BEETEK!
:
2014 Genesis Coupe R-Spec
Does filling your tank full makes the engine use less gas? a guy at work tells me yes, i say no
which is it?

Why does he say that? Any logical reason? If any thing I would think the extra 10 gallons or so would weigh you down for less, although so little it would be unnoticable. I don't know for sure, but unless someone can give a logical explaination, I say myth.

Him = right. But the difference would be very unnoticeable. For every 100lbs you add to a car, you lose about 1 mpg. So running with 4 gallons of gas opposed to 12 gallons or whatever would save you around 8 lbs per gallon of gas. So if you ran 4 instead of say 10, you would have around .5 more miles a gallon.

JCell said:
Does filling your tank full makes the engine use less gas? a guy at work tells me yes, i say no
which is it?

lgagno1 said:
Him = right. But the difference would be very unnoticeable. For every 100lbs you add to a car, you lose about 1 mpg. So running with 4 gallons of gas opposed to 12 gallons or whatever would save you around 8 lbs per gallon of gas. So if you ran 4 instead of say 10, you would have around .5 more miles a gallon.

(scratch)

lgagno1 said:
so the answer is he is wrong?...my car is blue.(crazy)

uclap5 said:
someone is confused.
No, he's right. I did the math using long division. So now I pull a 637 gallon tank on a trailer behind. I'm actually making gas now, and every couple days I siphon some off to use in the other car. I don't need the middle east now. Somebody quick tell Bush!

you actually usually burn the 1st half tank faster then the last half due to the extra weight. Of course, this assuming you always drive with the same person in the car, and not carrying anything else from one week to the next, on the same roads, same speeds, same weather etc.

Killer is, the damn needles on most cars aren't accurate enough so you never know what your actually on E. Even between my MP3, and MSP there's a difference to where the light comes on.

SciFiMan said:
No, he's right. I did the math using long division. So now I pull a 637 gallon tank on a trailer behind. I'm actually making gas now, and every couple days I siphon some off to use in the other car. I don't need the middle east now. Somebody quick tell Bush!
hahahahaahahahaha

I think it evens out from the first half to the second half. A full tank will obviously weigh more and require more energy to move it, but as the gas level lowers some condensation will form inside the tank (let a bottle of rubbing alcohol sit for a day or two in a warm area and you'll see what I'm talking about) and a bit of the water will get sucked up with the gas, hurting mileage. It's not that apparent in my MSP, but with my SHO, when I keep the gas level above 1/4 of tank as much as possible I get noticeably better mileage... about 20-30 more miles on the tank.

Back