0-60

belltronics accelometer: i launched the car at 4k rpms, and got a 6.45 in 0-60, for now thats good for me. i'll be expecting that number to be going down soon. anywho, street racing is gay.

ok maybe its me

Ok maybe it is me as i said I am new to this quick stuff. I drove stick before but never got into the quick start before. By the way some great links thanks.
Ok maybe somebody can clear this up for me about launching say at 3500 RPMS, I am totalyy confused at what DUMP and Slip clutch or Side step actually is or somewhat familiar but confused. Can someone explain what actually they are, search all over and they just keep using the terms but no explanation.

My understanding is rev to 3500 RPMS (in first) and let the clutch out slowly until you feel the crab then release it quick while floring it. (does this sound correct) and is this the safest way on the parts.

As I said new at this !
thanks in advance.

PS "fire away"

volito said:
Ok maybe it is me as i said I am new to this quick stuff. I drove stick before but never got into the quick start before. By the way some great links thanks.
Ok maybe somebody can clear this up for me about launching say at 3500 RPMS, I am totalyy confused at what DUMP and Slip clutch or Side step actually is or somewhat familiar but confused. Can someone explain what actually they are, search all over and they just keep using the terms but no explanation.

My understanding is rev to 3500 RPMS (in first) and let the clutch out slowly until you feel the crab then release it quick while floring it. (does this sound correct) and is this the safest way on the parts.

As I said new at this !
thanks in advance.

PS "fire away"

i cant exactly remember were i read this, whether it was in car and driver, or auto week. but they mentioned launching the car at 4k rpm. what i do: put the car in first rev it to 4k rpms and just drop the clutch and floor it. no need to feel the clutch grab.

anywho, its not really something that will damage the engine or parts, unless you do it wrong. i woudnt do it all the time though.

o yea,i forgot to mention, for some reason i notice the rpms on our cars seem to go to redline real quick. so if your droppin the clutch to see your 0-60 time, make sure you keep a close eye not to redline. (rockon)

Bender said:
Agreed, the Miata in stock form has a wimpy engine (excluding turbo model). Next topic.
As compared to what? Any specific engine or in general?

Synthesis5 said:
i cant exactly remember were i read this, whether it was in car and driver, or auto week. but they mentioned launching the car at 4k rpm. what i do: put the car in first rev it to 4k rpms and just drop the clutch and floor it. no need to feel the clutch grab.

anywho, its not really something that will damage the engine or parts, unless you do it wrong. i woudnt do it all the time though.

o yea,i forgot to mention, for some reason i notice the rpms on our cars seem to go to redline real quick. so if your droppin the clutch to see your 0-60 time, make sure you keep a close eye not to redline. (rockon)

ok double check "Rev to 4k with clutch down (in) and just let go of clutch and off I go" now understand about red line, wouldn't this take me to red line way before I get to 60 ,or can I push clutch again and go to say 4 or five and release clutch and keep going for 1/4 mile.

remember newbie lol go easy. I just figured out i can skip gears to get this baby going quicker.

kcbhiw said:
i personally think the original 110hp 1.6 was real weak. I don't find anything wrong with the current 1.8, even in non turbo form

The 1.6s and the 1.8's are all pretty damn slow..Its pretty pathetic when you can't even outrun a V6 Kia. Granted they aren't drag cars, but who the hell cares about drag racing..They can't even outrun even more weaksauce cars on the highway..The proteges are no prize pig either..Although the MS MX-5's are pretty sweet, i just can't fit in them.

We all know the Miata Is not a Drag racing car. But whoever think's the 1.8 142hp Mx-5 miata is slowww. YOU=(SUCK SHOULDN"T EVEN OWN A FINE PEACE OF MACHINE). A 142hp motor in a 2300lb car=Plenty of power!!!!(headshake

yea its at least full second if not more faster than a protege, either way, mazdas in general have never won many drag races save for the FD/TII.

KpaBap said:
yea its at least full second if not more faster than a protege, either way, mazdas in general have never won many drag races save for the FD/TII.
Aww the Power of the 2nd/3rd Gen (ROTARY)!!!!!! =Yummy(wrc)

tritonheat1 said:
We all know the Miata Is not a Drag racing car. But whoever think's the 1.8 142hp Mx-5 miata is slowww. YOU=(SUCK SHOULDN"T EVEN OWN A FINE PEACE OF MACHINE). A 142hp motor in a 2300lb car=Plenty of power!!!!(headshake
the NBs (2nd gen miatas) are no where close to what the NAs (original miatas) weigh. they're more like 2400-2600. granted, the newer 1.8s are faster than the originals, but performance isn't that much greater.

i lost a g35 coupe on the highway, but then again, we were already going pretty fast, and i had the advantage of being in a small, short car that's very good w/ transitions :)

the miata LS is slightly faster than a protege/5, but they both handle very well, and deserve more than straight line thrashing.

and it still irks the s*** out of me when people relate this car to chick cars or gay cars. toyota celicas and mustangs are more chick cars than a miata. 1 out of every 7 girls at my old high school drive either a celica or a mustang. and i've seen more gay people driving VW bugs and jettas because they are "lifestyle" cars.

kcbhiw said:

It's not really a question of comparing engines, it's more of how my butt dyno measures performance. Most cars out there have mediocre acceleration in my humble opinion. The stock Miata (non-turbo) is certainly one of them. If a car can't trap at 90+ in the quarter mile, it's probably going to be classified with mediocre acceleration in my books. Sorry if I'm a little too picky but that's just how I feel.

I will restate what everyone eles says... This car is a an autox car in every sence of the word.. It makes up its time in turns not on straights. The car is quite a beautiful machine, slow or not.

B

about the "gay cars", I've known more gay guys that drive Corollas than any other car... then again, I'm gay and I prefer a car that's actually fun to drive :D

DigitalHeadShot said:
My wife and I ahve both a msm and msp and the miata seems to have a lot more torque feel to it than the protege in stock form. Granted my msp is modded and pulls alot more now stock for stock form I would put my money on the miata in any race over the msp.

The Power-to-weight ratio of the MSM (stock, 0.07) is better than the MSP (stock, 0.06). The power-to-weight ratio is often used as an indication of likely accelerative performance, therefore the MSM is a better performer than the MSP. By comparison, a Porsche Carrera that makes 0-60 in 5 secs flat has a ratio of 0.103

DigitalHeadShot said:
I will restate what everyone eles says... This car is a an autox car in every sence of the word.. It makes up its time in turns not on straights. The car is quite a beautiful machine, slow or not.

B

The car really forces you to learn how to carry your momentum through a corner. I gotta stop going banzai way deep into every corner scrubbing off so much speed. Think like Jackie Stewart, think like Jackie Stewart, now drive like Jackie Stewart!

Bender said:
The car really forces you to learn how to carry your momentum through a corner. I gotta stop going banzai way deep into every corner scrubbing off so much speed. Think like Jackie Stewart, think like Jackie Stewart, now drive like Jackie Stewart!
isn't that what it's all about ? the car is so light that it shouldn't be hard controlling all that mass i would think...

Bender said:
Yep! Drive "slow" to go fast...

Back