Anyone remember the Bulova Accutron Tuning Fork Timepiece? My latest acquisition...

A

AGR

It's an original 1970 Spaceview. I purchased it from a fellow collector this week. Between 1960 and the early 70s, the Accutron Timepieces (Bulova never called them watches! (boom02) ), were the most accurate. So accurate, in fact, that NASA left Accutron powered timing equipment on the Moon for studies.

The Timepiece actually hums! The tuning fork vibrates at 360hz (360 times per second). You can see the tuning fork on each side of the '6' hour marker. Also; the movement in this timepiece is the 214 series. The crown (for setting the hands) is on the bottom of the timepiece; along with the battery compartment access. The 214 series movement was the first of the Accutron movements. And; only the 214 movement has the crown on the bottom.

47b4d633b3127cceb4627bb22e400000002613

47b4d633b3127cceb46269772e8c0000001610

47b4d633b3127cceb46252686e160000001610

http://www.elektron.demon.co.uk/accutron.html

http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium631672882451976629

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone with such a wrist watch fetish.

My timex is still going stong.....6+ years, same battery, 40 bucks :)

GI- said:
That's one hairy arm!
hahaha

Nice WATCH BTW. I have a little coin collection, mostly stuff that my grandfather left me when he passed on. I have yet to get enough funds together to actually collect anything on my own, other than Craftsman stuff. I'm a sucker for tools...

Hey... I saw a watch similar if not exactly that one selling on eBay a few weeks ago, and the seller had no idea what it was ... damned shame of it was that I went out of town and forgot to snipe it... damn me ... Great Acquisition !

very nice, agr. i'd like to start collecting timepieces, but financially, that ain't happening, but here's my two eco-drives.

IMG_0752.JPG

mountjonas said:
very nice, agr. i'd like to start collecting timepieces, but financially, that ain't happening, but here's my two eco-drives.

IMG_0752.JPG
Eco-Drives are sweet! I have one, and I have one for sale right now. Nice watches!

AGR said:
Eco-Drives are sweet! I have one, and I have one for sale right now. Nice watches!

thanks! i remember when i was a kid that my dad had one of those old bulova watches with the red led display. i've been looking for them, but he doesn't remember what he did with them:(

My fiance is going to buy me a nice watch for my wedding present. I don't really know what I am going to ask for. I actually haven't even started looking yet. I love watches, but all I've got is this Ti Fossil.

garretts77 said:
My fiance is going to buy me a nice watch for my wedding present. I don't really know what I am going to ask for. I actually haven't even started looking yet. I love watches, but all I've got is this Ti Fossil.
Mechanical or quartz? If you don't have a mechanical one yet, that's what I would get. They have personality! I love em! I bought this Accutron because I wanted a vintage watch. but; most of mine are mechanical.

Here are the ones, I am wearing mostly now...
47b4d629b3127cceb38fd70b03c00000001610

These, I am not wearing that often...
47b4d629b3127cceb38fd7ce82350000001610

garretts77 said:

my then-fiance, now wife gave me the one on the left as a wedding present two weeks ago.

yes, it's the same pic i posted above.
IMG_0752.JPG

Last edited:
mountjonas said:
my then-fiance, now wife gave me the one on the left as a wedding present two weeks ago.

yes, it's the same pic i posted above.
http://www.msprotege.com/members/mountjonas/IMG_0752.JPG[img][/QUOTE]
Sharp! I remember when that series was introduced. Good quality watch! (thumb)

nice collection AGR!!

this was my dad's. he bought it in the early 50's. lord elgin direct reading. i get more comments about it when i wear it. i always thought it was so cool when i was a kid, and when he died my mom gave it to me.

Attachments

• lord elgin.jpg
    lord elgin.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 106
bazooka joe said:
this was my dad's. he bought it in the early 50's. lord elgin direct reading. i get more comments about it when i wear it. i always thought it was so cool when i was a kid, and when he died my mom gave it to me.

that's pretty damn cool.

bazooka joe said:
nice collection AGR!!

Thanks Joe! That is a very cool Elgin! Is it running now? Or; does it need service?

damn, you do have alot of watches, and you know your s*** about them too. thats cool. i like the Bulova one you just got. thats tight, like your own piece of history=). right now all i have is one watch, but its nice. its the solar powered Pulsar.

AGR said:
Mechanical or quartz? If you don't have a mechanical one yet, that's what I would get. They have personality! I love em! I bought this Accutron because I wanted a vintage watch. but; most of mine are mechanical.
This is similar to the one that I am wearing now...

TI5064.jpg

Oh yeah, I guess that I also collect salt water fish (if you can call a salt water aquarium a collection, more of a hobby I guess)... but my lady lost her job, so all hobies, car included, kind of were put on hold for a while...

Back