Oil level?

Gyre

:
2002 P5
The oil on the dipstick is about 1 1/2" to 2" above the full mark. Either they are putting too much oil in my car or it's not taking on enough oil (or not draining enough). Any thoughts? Maybe I'd know the answer if I changed my own oil. Something for me to consider.

make ABSOLUTLEY you are reading it right...and if so....is sounds like they may have FORGOTTEN to drain the oil before putting the new stuff back in......but you have WAY to much oil in there if its really that full.

you ARE checking it when the motor is off..right?

I think you may want to be more safe than sorry......get a drain pan.....a new oil filter....and four quarts of oil......drain it all out....replace the filter...and put the 3.8 quarts in the engine...and then start doing all the oil changes yourself.

The car is off.

When the level is between full and low, it's easy to tell what the oil level is. There's a pretty clear line. When the oil is at least on the round part of the dipstick instead of the flat part, it's harder to tell.

After wiping off the dipstick and replacing it, I removed the dipstick again. I can see that the whole flat section is coated in oil. If I slide a paper towel down from the top to the bottom slowly, the oil starts to show up about 1 1/2" - 2" from the full mark. Some of the oil could be coming off the side of the tube the dipstick goes in. It's definitely well above full, though.

As I mentioned...I would do the safe thing....if your oil is new, or fairly new....at least drain SOME of it out till you KNOW you don't have it over filled....and refill it to the proper level. you really don't have much to loose....other than a few dollars for some new oil.

Back