Transmission Drain/Fill bolt?

cervy

:
02 P5
Ok this is the first time i'm doing this so I must apologize for my stupidity, but i'm changing the fluid in a manual p5 tranny (dropping in some Redline). I'm looking under the car and I see two HUGE bolts a little smaller than my 15/16 socket. I call Mazda just to see what size the drain/fill bolts are and they say 19mm. Can someone please tell me if i'm looking on the right ones or am I missing them somewhere. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place under the hood. Thanks alot

p.s. - I know there was a webpage showing the repair manual somewhere out there but I forgot where it was. I was trying to reference that page, for some help, but with no luck. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

Last edited:
cervy said:
Ok this is the first time i'm doing this so I must apologize for my stupidity, but i'm changing the fluid in a manual p5 tranny (dropping in some Redline). I'm looking under the car and I see two HUGE bolts a little smaller than my 15/16 socket. I call Mazda just to see what size the drain/fill bolts are and they say 19mm. Can someone please tell me if i'm looking on the right ones or am I missing them somewhere. Maybe i'm not looking in the right place under the hood. Thanks alot

p.s. - I know there was a webpage showing the repair manual somewhere out there but I forgot where it was. I was trying to reference that page, for some help, but with no luck. Anyone know what i'm talking about?
It's not under the hood, it's under the car. You'll see a crossmember running lengthwise around where the axles are. It will be a 23mm bolt. The fill hole is angled down and to the front of the car about a foot in front of the drain bolt. On my car there was a plastic shield that ended right below the fill hole, if that helps you locate it.

Do a search and you'll find pictures of the exact locations.

A few tips...
1) use Redline MT-90...I had some shifting issues until I replaced my fluid with it. You only need 3 quarts -- and only 2.83 go in the car.
2) you need a hand pump to get the oil from the bottle into the tranny -- trust me...it's a pain in the ass to do it without one.
3) Put the front of your car on jackstands (or ramps) when you do this -- the exhaust gets really hot, even with a short trip down the road.

Here's the link for the online service manual. You have the G15M-R transmission -- it's the second one listed.
http://protege5.ugly.net/#ENG

wow man thanks for the info. Yeah i just figured out it was 23mm, sorry I meant under the car.

Back