Clunk from front end(not suspension)

gboromsp

:
06 WRX
Ever since I put on my front motor mount I sometimes get this awful clunk sound coming from the front end when I am taking off in 1st gear. Its only in first that I hear this and its when I'm taking it easy, if I launch hard it never does it. I was thinking that maybe one of my hard pipes from my Ion front mount was rubbing, but I have the front end off right now and it is not. I don't know how to explain it but it makes the whole car shake and sounds awful. Also I think it is coming from the drivers side. Any ideas of what it could be??

I just went for a quick drive to try to explain better. It does it as soon as the clutch starts to engage. It is a loud clunk, sounds like something is hitting hard. I made sure my front motor mount was tight, and it was perfect. Could the rear mount be loose? I am out of ideas, somebody shed some light on this.

No, its not that. I've already had that problem in the past. This is a louder clunk than that ever made.

jersey_emt said:
Is the intercooler pipe really close to the brake master cylinder?

I don't know....but my 'guess' is that just the front mount is causing greater movement in other areas of the engine bay. Something is hitting somewhere. Either that or your rear mount is not in good shape...which is pretty much impossible to check unless you actually take it out and look unfortunately. I have both front and rear AWR - no noises at all....but the whole care DOES shake violently as you just start moving (same time as your clunk issue). Apparently that's when the engine is moving the most.

I have the bang aswell and i had it before i put my fmic in. i always figured it was my front sway bar but this is louder than that would be.

bump from the past!

I installed the AWR front motor mount and i am getting the same exact thing you speak of. I have no other mods on the car. Did you or anyone ever figure out what causes this? Like he said, it only happens when i accelerate slowy, as soon as the clutch engages...

Check your motor mounts. That would be my best guess, especially if its happening as soon as you engage the clutch. I've torn them before in FWD cars and that sounds like the symptoms.

A way to test... you try and rev it from within the engine bay but the car is not under load at that point. You can have someone stand outside the car, with the hood up, and watch as you take off. If the engine jumps back and clunks...motor mount.

My passenger side mount went out first and as soon as I stiffened that up my rear went out. It caused my exhaust to rattle and my Hiboost intake pipe to push up into the hood when engaging the clutch.

clunky suspension not handling bumps well

Not tight at all. Needs a fix? I cannot stand this noisy clunky suspension...
Is it a danger?

I had this happen to me after I upgrade all my mounts except the rear. My bet is your rear mount is shot because you only upgraded the front mount and it is putting most of the stress in the rear. Swap out the stock rear for an AWR or Midevil.

same problem with me. Especially when its a little ice in spots and my tires hit ice then pavement then ice then pavement ect... everytime it hits the pavement CLUNK. almost like a knock sound. i have the medevil front mount in as well. but iam thinking it is my ball joints...

This problems sounds similiar to mine. Over the past year I have been running Medieval Front & both Side Mounts. Back in August the clunking began. No adverse affects. Just left it and a dealership wasn't able to diagnose conslusively. Tried drive-shafts. Not the problem.

Common thinking among forum peeps is the rear-mount. I am not 100%, because I do not necessarily agree with the thinking that the rear-mount takes the brunt of the work-load with after-market mounts installed. This theoretically doesn't make sense at all to me.

The clunk for me occurs as you describe it. Occurs just from normal take-offs from a full-stop. It probably occurs if I tear of the line, but all the noise the car makes I probably can't hear it. It'll occur if I am moving slowly in first gear and gently go on/off the throttle. Sort of, as the engine torques from revs going up/down it'll clunk. Sometimes if I am coming to a stop and brake at lower speeds it'll randomly 'clunk'. To me it really feels as if the clunk is occuring from something shifting front-to-back. Not side to side. It has nothing to do with going over bumps or anything.

I am not sure it is rear-mount, but one other suggestions was shifter stabilizer bushing.

Another note. Put the car into neutral or clutch-in in 1st. and Blip the throttle abruptly (revs should pop to like 2K that's it). It'll clunk for me then too.

if I yank up the hand-brake and clutch-out and gas to make the engine torq: I do NOT hear a clunk. This is opposite result to possibly bad rear mount I think. :(

Update: I had the rear mount replaced by a dealership. It did not resolve this problem.

Do you have a aftermarket front motor mount?

A year ago to this date, I had installed Medieval front & both side mounts. The clunk began in August of 2009. A month ago I swapped out the front Medieval mount for a new stock one. I did it to help alleviate annoying rattles and vibes. The clunk remained.

(thumb)

So ya.. I'm at a loss as to where the hell this clunk is coming from now.

Back