4.30 final drive?

:
03 MAZDASPEED Protege
has anyone tried this final drive its 4.30 http://www.shaneracing.com/protege.htm what is the final drive of our cars i cant rember nor can i find it. would it be waste of time and$$ when changing out clutch/flywheel. im trying to save for a carputer but my clutch is going bad i have found the clutch/flywheel ACT street with mazdaspeed lightend flywheel and while i have the tranny out and apare why not try and make it stronger/ acellerate faster.

I don't know about our cars, but I swapped the rear end ratio in my firebird. I went up two steps (3.23 to 3.73), which is supposedly alot, but it really didnt do anything aside from give me ALOT of headaches.

It made me like .2-.3 faster at the track, but cost over 500 on the install, plus 200 to fix the speedo, plus another 1500 for a new rear 2 years later because the guy who installed them didn't do it just right (you need to be accurate to like .001 inches or something), not to mention the odometer was permanently screwed.

To make a long story short, you usually don't see too much of an advantage, but you do get a whole lot of heartache.

just found this

M/T
1st: 3.307 (13.575)
2nd: 1.842 (7.561)
3rd: 1.310 (5.378)
4th: 0.970 (3.982)
5th: 0.755 (3.099)
Reverse: 3.166
Final Drive: 4.105

so would a 4.30 make any diffrence good/bad?

Freeway RPMs are already too high with this car. A higher final drive will push them up even higher...plus 4.3 versus 4.1? not a big difference.

Installing a new differential in a Mazda transmission isn't really hard. The Protege transmission is one of the easiest to work on. However there are several specialty tools that most shops probably won't have. Also I hope you realize that you don't have to dissassemble the transmission to replace the clutch and flywheel. The difference between 4.105's and 4.30's won't be noticable on acceleration. You could get the same affect by going with a smaller diameter tire.

If you really want to change the gears I believe tri-point engineering or someone has a 4.88 set.....you really won't get traction though.....

What specialty tools are needed? I'm going to buy a few tools when I need to tear my tranmission apart again.

Your top end would be closer to 120ish (which doesn't really matter to me b/c i never go that fast anyways). I don't think it would be all that beneficial to going from 4.105 to 4.30. Not worth the money anyways. And like Jersey said cruising at 75 is already too high... and that would only get higher, which would probably decrease your gas mileage. And like BlkZoomZoom said you could get smaller diameter tires and get the same thing.
If you do decide to take the tranny apart put a sixth gear in there :D

JDM SAM- If you mean to install and set-up a new diff. in the transmission a couple of tools that make it easier are: 49 e011 1ao
49 g030 455

Yeah they are factory Mazda tools. To tell you the truth I don't know if they can be sold to the general public or not. I wouldn't even be able to get myself a deal on them lol, I will check tommorow to see if general public can buy them from a dealer.

hmm higher gears with an already traction plagued weak front wheel drive is a no no....plus 4.3 wont do much except throw your speedo off. THe higher you go the quicker you get but the more top speed you lose...as a general rule of thumb(well with jeeps and vettes anyways) you generally will only notice a different when jump up a ratio of 1.0...for example stock 2.73 L98vette gears to 3.73 LT1vette gears...

I know that my friend is installing a Type R final drive on his RSX-S, but they have a 6spd & could probably even cruise in 5th gear with lower RPMs than us. He said that it should improve his acceleration & had a site that calculated what speed you could get to in each gear with the different final drives.

Rx-Kevin- The tools are used to set-up the new diff. Theres a difference between doing something, and doing something correctly.

Back