oops

no opps to it.....its the very reason why its against the law in many states to have a screen in the front seat area.....

Why do you need a DVD, and a PS2 within driver's view? No reason. Drive the ******' car/truck asshole. Priorities, priorities.

true, but their case is
While no Alaska law prohibits operating a DVD player in view of a driver, prosecutor June Stein said the facts warranted charging Petterson under one of two theories: that he knew his conduct was substantially certain to cause death, or that he knowingly engaged in conduct showing extreme indifference to human life.
i just consider that a bit extreme, it makes it sound like he was deliberately out to hurt people, which he wasn't, it was an accident. granted he wasn't thinking and was stupid, but murder 2 based on that seems really weak to me

"Vehicles can be equipped with fax machines, cell phones and two-way radios. But none should be used if they interrupt the concentration of drivers, she said. "It's a no-brainer. If it's distracting, don't do it," Neblett said."

"It's a no-brainer. If it's distracting, don't do it," Neblett said"

What else is there to say. COMMON SENSE!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with this more

"Liz Neblett, spokeswoman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said more than 25 percent of police-reported crashes are distraction related, which covers everything from cell phone use to changing channels on a radio, screaming at kids, eating, applying makeup or reading a newspaper"

That being said, charging this guy with 2nd degree murder is not the way to go about this.

you should NOT be using a cell phone while driving. It is illegal here now THANK GOD. I don't know how many times I have been cut off by some asshole/b**** using a phone while driving. Same can be said about woman checking make up, or woman checking the kids in the BACKSEAT while driving. I see this all the damn time.

Should we ban dvd players from cars? NO. Might as well ban navigation units as well. Where will they stop after dvd's? What about fancy stereo's with graphics being displayed on them, or buttons that require you to look at them while driving ( this can range from a highend unit to a idiot driving a stock neon and can't find the volume button) There's no where to draw the line fairly. Should your front dvd player be on while driving? Probably not, and they could change only that fairly imho.

Excuse the bad choice of words, but their conviction is overkill.

I do agree with the Murder charge being over the top, But I mean Damn people, All he had to do was pay FULL attention to the road like your taught to do for a reason, and those people wouldn't be dead.
I think the family should be able to take a damn punch at this guy one by one to knock some G.D. sense into him(pow)

Newf said:
I couldn't agree with this more

"Liz Neblett, spokeswoman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said more than 25 percent of police-reported crashes are distraction related, which covers everything from cell phone use to changing channels on a radio, screaming at kids, eating, applying makeup or reading a newspaper."
WTF? People read newspaper while driving? I would freak out if I see in my rear mirror somone reading newspaper while driving.

yea, my parents read the newspaper while going to work sometimes....
talk about distractions, my uncle an APD officer has 2 personal cellphones, 1 carphone, 2-way radio, and a laptop all under his belt when he's on duty and driving. Talk about distractions, there are alot there, especially when he's checking position of units on the road, reading a post, and attempting to drive to a scene. Was the pickup speeding? because with speed requires more concentration, and I know when my uncle drives, unless he's concentrating on going to a scene, he's not speeding. Can't afford to, to much else to think about.

A dvd player is no different than makeup or a newspaper. it distracts you a lot over a period of time. These are things for static movement, not 55+ down the Seward Highway.

Bet it's gonna be vehicular manslaughter.

I got to watch a disney movie on some van in front of me's integrated dvd system 2nite on the way home :)

I consider hot chicks in cars a distraction too, but if they ban those, I'm moving to Mexico. (stash)

I saw that on the local news. I was suprised as well he was getting charged with alot but got aquitted of all charges. hummmmm Oh well makes you think about watching DVDs while driving or even having one in your vehicle.

Back