"Color-matched" my valve cover plastic thing

I did the same thing about 5 months ago and it still looks awesome. I used Krylon Gloss Blue, it dried quick and doesn't run. And it matches my AEM intake and sparkco wires perfectly. Eventhough you cant see the wires unless you take it off.

TADA!!!

blue%20cover.jpg

blue%20cover2.jpg

what happened was, when i dropped off my car to get the bumper fixed, and repainted, i told them to give me some extra paint...i then bought an airbrush for model cars, and went to town.
im calling my body shop tomorrow and getting like a gallon of that paint.

Looks sharp, kiddo. :)

Now paint the 16 valve DOHC part BLACK. :)

Has anyone done this in YELLOW?

how would i go about doing just the letters?
btw...wingswest's is yellow, thats where i "borrowed" the idea.

Use some good quality 2" wide masking tape and tape over the letters, cut out around the letters with an exacto type knife, then either use a small model brush to apply or use an air-brush...depending on how good you are with over-spray you might want to take some old newspaper and cover the parts of the valve cover-cover that you aren't painting. I painted mine that way and it came out pretty well.

esguy: thanks, now all i need is to match up the front emblem with some paint, and go apeshit with the airbrush gun.hehehehe

derrick1623 said:
esguy: thanks, now all i need is to match up the front emblem with some paint, and go apeshit with the airbrush gun.hehehehe
how fitting that the "content monkey" should go "apeshit."

ok, ok ,ok, Derrick, how about I send you down my cover, with return postage and 10 bucks...would you hook me up?

Has/will the heat give it any problems?

Let me know ;) (beer)

i havent had any heat problems yet, and i drove it hard to see if it would chip, wear...etc.

ill keep an eye on it, but hopefully the high heat clear helps out.

and about the "hook-up"..im outta paint for now, but once i get some, sure ill do it up, youll need something a little different though, so your not "copying"heehee

Kooldino said:
Looks sharp, kiddo. :)

Now paint the 16 valve DOHC part BLACK. :)

Has anyone done this in YELLOW?

Yep! I didn't match the yellow exactly but I think I got pretty close, what do you guys think?
Here ya go...
bluemp3__mp3engine%20600pixels.jpg

bluemp3__tenzo%20r%20oilcap%20600pixels.jpg

I was inspired to match the strut bar by this picture...
engine__sweet-header%20600pixels.jpg

I was just thinking that if someone wanted to keep the letters black they could try taking a cue tip with a little vasaline and go over the letters, then paint the cover. When the paint drys just take a paper towel and wipe off the vasaline.

That should work, what do you guys think?

I tried the tape with the exacto knife and let me tell you one thing...you better have patients, because it is a pain in the butt.

Last edited:
hmmm, different...the only thing I would do different, so as not to be "copying" :) would be to leave the lettering black...other than that, you just did too good of a job not to want it the same way...:D

you let me know when its cool with you, and I'll send it down; hell I might even drive down and say hello.
:cool:

holy s*** all those pics are so bad ass. i was planning on painting mine (when i get the mazdaspeed) red. it will look so dopeness :D i cant wait!!

Back