Programming a Spare Remote for Mazda3

I own a 2004 mazda3 hatch and I feel as though I have followed the given instructions adequately, yet my new remote won't program. The problem is Step 6 as my ECU does not lock and unlock. Yet if I go through the first five steps and then remove my key from the ignition the ECU WILL do the final step and do the multiple lock unlock sequences. Any light shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated

From what I have discovered in my problem with this same issue about the car not locking and unlocking when I press the button twice is that the FCC ID on the new Fob is the wrong one! anyone else have any input? I will have to send mine back and get the right on with the correct FCC ID.

I programmed both my MS3 and CX7 with the same instructions with no issues. I also programmed the keys too (different instructions). Just make sure you have the correct FCC ID.

I thought I'd try the CX7 switchblade remote key for the MS3 but no go. :(

P.S. I ordered my transponder keys (and remotes) from Ebay and get them cut at Home Depot for free!

FCC ID for the ECU?

My Dad is in the same with his remotes and the illustrated steps. He has a 2006 Mazda3 S sedan that he rebuilt after a light front end hit. Due to this situation the car came with 1 key with the security chip in it but no remotes. He consulted with a Mazda dealer to get another key and got the 'proper' part number (Visteon Model 41794) for the fobs. At the dealers suggestion he purchased 2 fobs from Ebay and tried the directions but he had no success. He took those fobs to the dealer and the dealer couldn't get them to work either. NOR could the dealer get any other fobs of 3 sedans of the same vintage to work.

The good news is that the dealer didn't charge my father for failing to program the fobs, but the bad news is he still doesn't have keyless entry.

My question is, since we know where the FCC ID is on the fobs, does anyone know where where the FCC ID for the ECU is on the car?

OR since the car was hit in the front, where the KEU is located in an 06 3 sedan so that we can see if it is damaged?

Thanks for any and all help in this matter.

I own a 2004 mazda3 hatch and I feel as though I have followed the given instructions adequately, yet my new remote won't program. The problem is Step 6 as my ECU does not lock and unlock. Yet if I go through the first five steps and then remove my key from the ignition the ECU WILL do the final step and do the multiple lock unlock sequences. Any light shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated

your case is exactly the same as mine! Do you have clue yet?

Konnic,

Even though the car is a sedan, I needed a remote for a hatch in order to complete the process. Now that I have 2 remotes that have the FCC ID for a hatch I have had no issues with the car.

For anyone have problems with their remote programming, on STEP 4 Flip the key 4 times instead of 3. This will go into a diagnostic security test. And it will reset all remotes for the car.

Then when you restart the steps to do it the normal way the doors will Unlock and Lock like the should on Step 6.

This was my problem as well, until i read this information that i just posted here. You are all welcome.

Hi,
I'm in the UK and need to program a remote for my Mazda 3. I've followed the steps above but never get past item 5. The car never locks/unlocks the doors as in item 6 so I don't even get to the bit of trying to program the replacement remote I have. I've tried the Seryous instruction for resetting remotes but this doesn't appear to do anything on my car. I wonder if I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jamie

Hi,
I'm in the UK and need to program a remote for my Mazda 3. I've followed the steps above but never get past item 5. The car never locks/unlocks the doors as in item 6 so I don't even get to the bit of trying to program the replacement remote I have. I've tried the Seryous instruction for resetting remotes but this doesn't appear to do anything on my car. I wonder if I'm missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jamie

I'm having this same issue with my girlfriend's car....it will not lock and unlock after step 5....help!!!

I've also tried the key on/off 4 times as well....

Last edited:
I am also stuck at step #6. I just picked up an 04 Mazda3 hatch that only came with a single key (it was a repo). I took the VIN to the local dealer and they verified that is had keyless entry, so I bought some key fobs off ebay. However, following the programming instructions, the ECU never acknowledges the process by locking and unlocking the doors in step #6. I tried turning the key 4 times to reset it, but it still doesn't work. Also, the red light on the dash with the key inside of a car flashes about every 3 seconds whenever the car is not running. Is this normal or is it possible the repo men did something to the car's security? Anyone have any more ideas on the remote fob programming? Thanks.

The red security light is normal. I've got my buddy at my local Mazda dealer looking into this step #6 problem. I'll keep you posted.

Solved!!! The reason my car was not acknowledging the process with Step #6 lock and unlock was because the keyless entry module was dead. The module is in the headliner, but is accessible by removing the map light. I used a putty knife to push in on each side of the map light console until I managed to depress the metal spring clip that holds it in on each side. On my car with a sunroof, the module was off to the passenger side up above the headliner, but I'm told that non-sunroof cars have it to the rear of the car from the map light. Only one easily accessible screw holds in the module bracket, but I still had to pry and wiggle it out due to two metal tabs that hold it in. Once out, I cracked open the module, but saw no obvious signs of bad electronics (blown caps or burnt smelling transistors) on the circuit board. I tested the wiring harness and saw +12V, ground, and +11.5V (must be signal line) on the wires going to the module, which all looked right to me, so I decided to take a chance on a new module. The list price on those things is outrageous, but I got one that had come out of a wrecked car on ebay for $45 shipped. Searching ebay by the part number printed on the module (BN8P 67 5DZ for my 04) yielded the best results. There's one on there for $50 right now. Once it came in the mail, I plugged in the new (used) module and right away the ECU began responding correctly in step 6. After that, I got my remotes programmed on the second try.

That's awesome man! Good work. I have heard that these are a potential problem, but i never carried on to look into it deeper. My dealership buddy is always to busy to help!

Anyone come to a conclusion on this step #6 problem???

Problem: Can't Program Key Fob; On step #6 of instructions for programming key fob, the door locks do not cycle on, then off, to indicate readiness for programming. However, if the key is removed or the door is closed, the locks cycle on/off twice.

SOLVED: Solution for Step #6 Problem During Programming Mazda 3 Key Fob on a 2004 Mazda 3

I was able to solve this problem simply by disconnecting the battery (not sure if it matters, but I left it disconnected for 15 minutes), then repeating the programming instructions. Note: Be sure to write down your radio stations before disconnecting; you will need to re-program them.

For what it's worth, I was able to program a key fob with a DIFFERENT FCC ID than the original key fob. In my case, the original was KPU41846 and the new one (from ebay) was KPU41794. (If anyone cares, I bought it https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)...be warned that the auction lists the FCC ID KPU41846, but I actually received KPU41794 [doesn't matter, still works]).

What DID NOT WORK was Seryous' advice about going to some sort of diagnostic security mode by cycling the key on/off for 4 times instead of 3.

Last edited:
What DID NOT WORK was Seryous' advice about going to some sort of diagnostic security mode by cycling the key on/off for 4 times instead of 3.

-i agree with this statement

I recently purchased a 2005 Mazda 3s and it did not come with a key fob at all. I did some research and ordered one online(KPU41846) and I can't get this thing to program at all. I can easily get the car into programming mode but I don't get a response from the remote at all. I called a local Mazda dealer and they looked up my VIN and verified that I do have keyless entry, so I asked them if they could tell me if I purchased the right remote, so I gave them the number on the back of the remote and they said that they do not go by the KPU number at all and I would have to bring it into Mazda to have them test it out. I thought at first the remote was junk, so I took it to Autozone and pointed it at their key fob battery tester and it shows that there is power to the remote, so I'm assuming it's all good there. I purchased the Haynes repair manual and it says that you're supposed to pull the key out then push any button on the remote to get it to program which didn't work either. I guess my question is:

Did anyone else have issues with remote KPU41846? Is there another model I can be using?
or
Does anyone know how to pull out the Keyless Entry Module? I pulled out the map light and I think I found it above the passenger side visor but for the I can't get it out, it's such a tight spot. I was thinking maybe the module died.

I tried turning the key over 4 times instead of 3 and all that does is make my horn beep twice besides the locks cycling. I also disconnected the battery for 15mins and that didn't work either.

I managed to get the Module out now, didnt notice the screw lol. But now i'm stuck on whether or not I should buy a new module or try another key fob...

Back