GI: Coming soon! Manual Boost control w/ creep and wastegate control

TurfBurn

:
'01 Yellow MP3 #1026
I'm working on approved merchant member status.. but i have a new manual boost controller coming up for sale. I'm working right now finalizing the MBC, but it is installed on an MSP right now and the car is holding very steady at 9 psi with some minor spikes to 10 psi under certain conditions. Otherwise works absolutely fabulous.

I will also be developing over the next week some add ons to make it so you can improve spool up time by holding the wastegate shut just like an EBC would do. EDIT: Due to some improved components, price will be $49 plus shipping. Shipping costs were higher/more variable than expected.

These units are much nicer than the other MBC's you'll see out there. They have clean locking knobs.. no set nut or set screw to worry about coming loose. They also will have mounting brackets, and all the hardware and tubing will come included. Not to mention customer support!

Our goal is to provide a superior product to the other MBC's out there, and do it for less! This will be a great alternative for you if you are still waiting for an MBC from somebody else, or are starting to look!

If you have questions or anything else feel free to post or pm me...

in the meantime... here are some pics of the test unit installation.

Thanks!

Steve

EDIT: Updated pictures coming soon!

Last edited:
Dirty ass engine bay... LOL...

I can do my best to answer questions as well. Steve is the main brains with the degree, I'm the computer geek. And we're testing on my car.

Quick Questions. Does this make a Nasty Hiss out of the Exhaust. Because if ti does I want it.

no it doesn't and can't change the exhaust tone. I believe you do get a mild tone from the air flowing through the relief valving on the control valve... but not anything super significant.

well the one the MBC that you see up there will be 49 plus shipping.. I'm working on some higher quality ones (the first one is good.. but i"m looking at cast metal instead of molded plastic)... I'm getting them in tomorrow and will run some tests... So that's the MBC...

The wastegate control... I'm getting parts to build the first one of those tomorrow... and depending on how that goes will determine the cost on that....

But I'll keep you in mind for trials. I'll cut the cost in half or better for anyone that is willing to run an initial trial. I'll probably want to run about 2 trials with people... So one or two more installs... then I'll start sale on them...

Edit: price adjustment

Last edited:
Demonic-Speed said:
OK stupid question, but what does the wastegate control do? and don't say control the waste gate;)
I think that is what helps keep the boost steady and controls boost creep(which we have the opposite of) and boost drop off (which we have :) )

Demonic-Speed said:
OK stupid question, but what does the wastegate control do? and don't say control the waste gate;)
I typed up a long response to this about an hour ago.. and now I look and it isn't on the forum.. hm... I'll respond again in a while.. I have some work to do at work (go figure!) before I have a chance to type again....

Get right back to you!

Thanks,

Steve

Demonic-Speed said:
Uh... it controls the wastegate! (cheers)

Actually though... it's a feature that is normally only on electronic boost controllers. What happens with this feature is that the wastegate is not opened until a set psi, so say you set it to 5 psi. The wastegate will not open at all until around 5 psi, and then will be fully open by 7 psi (in the case of a stock msp running just the wastegate controller). Without the controller the wastegate cracks open at 1 psi, more by 2, more by 3.. etc all the way to fully open at 7 psi. By keeping it closed to 5 psi you get a much faster boost response.

Modifying that device slightly I can reverse things a little bit and by adding the modified one in to the system in a slightly different manner you can also provide creep protection and preven the boost from creeping up past the set psi. Obviously the system can only at through the actuator on the wastegate, so the system will be limited by the behavior of the turbo system itself to some extent and can't fix problems inherent in the system, like the fall off.. can't really do too much about that unless the root cause is the behavior of the actuator.

Also, I have a Profec Spec-II on my vehicle and that thing will creep HORRENDOUSLY (8 psi of creep happens all the time and only stops because the standalone cuts the engine). Using the little creep protection mechanism I'm going to make will fix this and help anyone who already has that EBC, or any other EBC that is creeping.

Hope that helps answer the questions!

Thanks guys,

Steve

Thus far, there hasn't been any issues with the boost creeping. I'm spiking at 10 psi max (we have it set at 9psi). It's hot and humid as hell today, stock IC doesn't like it. But overall the MBC does a very good job of keeping the boost regulated to where we set it. Like Steve said we have a few more things to play with this week, to try and get the control a bit better.

Last edited:
TurfBurn said:
well the one the MBC that you see up there will be shipped to your door for 50-53... I'm working on some higher quality ones (the first one is good.. but i"m looking at cast metal instead of molded plastic)... I'm getting them in tomorrow and will run some tests... So that's the MBC...

The wastegate control... I'm getting parts to build the first one of those tomorrow... and depending on how that goes will determine the cost on that....

But I'll keep you in mind for trials. I'll cut the cost in half or better for anyone that is willing to run an initial trial. I'll probably want to run about 2 trials with people... So one or two more installs... then I'll start sale on them...

I love this site

Im interested in the wastegatecontrol

Pics
and price

Back