Impact of the P5

Replica

SHARP TOOTH!
:
Mazda2 Touring
It's interesting to see what the P5 did to the car world. Even though it came out in 2002 it seems to have done alot of things other cars weren't doing at the time. Alot of standard options, a fancy white faced guage cluster etc. When I was at a Mazda dealership a few weeks ago they STILL use that yellow P5 picture on their posters and promos around the dealership and service department. It's kinda wierd seeing ghosts on the walls (P5's)

When your baby grows up(mazda3) do you throw away the baby photos? I think it's cool they still keep them up...why not its a sweet car.

What's neat is there are bits of styling from almost every significant Mazda in the P5.

Just to back up Replica here, look at all the new 5 door cars that have a lot of styling similar to the P5. Yeah, the P5 might not be the first one, but a lot of cars did come out after it, and borrowed some things. I just saw a commercial the other day for a Kia Spectra5...Come on now...At least get original....

Well, technically it started with the MP3 but for some reason they did everything right with the P5. Most hatchbacks that are derived from sedans look like just that...a hatch that should have been a sedan. But the P5 looks like it was supposed to be a hatchback or a wagon from the begining. All the lines on the car are perfect and there really isn't a bad angle. I have strangers come up to me and tell me they were thinking about buying one. I try to explain that they don't make them anymore and the Mazda3 has replaced it. Usually they say they don't like it and they'll buy a used P5 if they have to.

chuyler1 said:
Most hatchbacks that are derived from sedans look like just that...a hatch that should have been a sedan. But the P5 looks like it was supposed to be a hatchback or a wagon from the begining. All the lines on the car are perfect and there really isn't a bad angle.
That about sums it up perfectly :).

chuyler1 said:
Well, technically it started with the MP3 but for some reason they did everything right with the P5. Most hatchbacks that are derived from sedans look like just that...a hatch that should have been a sedan. But the P5 looks like it was supposed to be a hatchback or a wagon from the begining. All the lines on the car are perfect and there really isn't a bad angle. I have strangers come up to me and tell me they were thinking about buying one. I try to explain that they don't make them anymore and the Mazda3 has replaced it. Usually they say they don't like it and they'll buy a used P5 if they have to.
(mswerd)

2K3 MSP said:
Just to back up Replica here, look at all the new 5 door cars that have a lot of styling similar to the P5. Yeah, the P5 might not be the first one, but a lot of cars did come out after it, and borrowed some things. I just saw a commercial the other day for a Kia Spectra5...Come on now...At least get original....

yeah the spectra 5 is a big rip off

chuyler1 said:
I have strangers come up to me and tell me they were thinking about buying one. I try to explain that they don't make them anymore and the Mazda3 has replaced it. Usually they say they don't like it and they'll buy a used P5 if they have to.
(werd)this has happened to me twice.

all other manufacturers are calling 5
spectra 5
optra 5
wtf!?

mazda should have called the new 3
mazda 3
and mazda 3.5 instead of the mazda3 sport.. IMHO, it's just rice to call a model "sport"

anyone with a dodge caravan sport? (lol2)

Last edited:
It is kinda ricey to call a car sport. I do like "mazda 3.5" though.

The P5 did have an impact. Many cars try to copy us, but none are really P5's.

Back