turbo kits

i was wondering which turbo kit is better, the BEGI or the tripoint. what are the pro's and con's for each and does anyone know what final production cost of the BEGI. i am planning on buying a turbo kit in the next month or too and am considering both kits. thanks

I dont think there is enough data on the TriPoint kit, as the only person who has it installed to my knowledge is the prototype (forgot his name, a search will fix that). I say go for the TriPoint kit! The BEGI kit has its fair share of problems right now so it would be nice to see how TriPoint's kit bolts on. The pictures look like one helluva kit. The variable vane is awesome for quick spoolup, but not robbing you of high-end power. If I go turbo, I'm leaning towards TriPoint at this time, until I see how FM/BEGI kits come out.

Chris

The BEGI kit and the Tripoint will also run similar numbers, at least they do right now. Keith and the folks at Flyin Miata may go farther with the boost and upgrades, but right now they're similar in torque and hp. Tripoint is supposed to be an extremely easy kit to install, and I'm sure that they (just like FM and Spoolin') will be more than happy to help with any install probs you might have. Talk to everybody and ask them about their pricing and what the kit includes, competition is a good thing. Sellers, get in here and plug away!

Hmm, extra injectors vs. fuel pressure regulator advantage - BEGI? (I dunno, what do others think?)
Tripoint has a larger intercooler, that's a plus for them.
Tripoint says they tried it with a regulator and it didn't work, did they use BEGI's supposedly superior regulator?

Good thing I can't afford a kit right now (wedding, building a garage, starting a business) because I need more info.

Size isn't everything :) There's more to IC design than sheer core dimensions. Check out Maximum Boost to see. We're going to have instrumentation on our IC shortly to check just how well it's cooling on the road - it should be okay for 8 psi.

You guys are getting a ringside seat for watching development of the BEGI kit. Everything undergoes a few teething issues. We have a tendency to share information about products as we develop them, which does make some of the R&D problems public knowledge. Don't stress out about those, but make your decisions based on the final product.

Right now, it looks like the stock ECU has a huge range of authority to "correct" A/F ratios. More than I've seen before. This needs to be addressed, no matter what is used to deliver extra fuel.

Keith

Keith@FM said:

Right now, it looks like the stock ECU has a huge range of authority to "correct" A/F ratios. More than I've seen before. This needs to be addressed, no matter what is used to deliver extra fuel.

Keith

See? See? REPROGRAM IT and throw on some grande injectors!

NATE: Anway, either way you go, you're probably getting a good kit. I'd personally like to see you go with the Tripoint kit just because NO ONE has it yet, and I'm curious to see how it does. Plus, the install should be easier than BEGIs.

CARB approval is important to us. And umm, can you lend us the source code and the reprogramming hardware? I don't know about Visteon ECUs, but the Miata ones can't be reprogrammed.

I'm not sure why the BEGI would be considered hard to install. It's probably the simplest installation I've done.

Keith

Keith@FM said:

I'm not sure why the BEGI would be considered hard to install. It's probably the simplest installation I've done.

Keith

Very true, even I got it done and I'm a damned fool.:rolleyes:

Keith@FM said:
CARB approval is important to us. And umm, can you lend us the source code and the reprogramming hardware? I don't know about Visteon ECUs, but the Miata ones can't be reprogrammed.

Keith

I'm not saying that the BEGI install is hard, but it has to be harder than the Tripoint being that with the Tripoint you don't have to run an oil line.

You can't reprogram protege ECUs? M2 performance was saying that they were going to do something like that...or maybe just make a replacement ECU....

I haven't seen a Tripoint, but you'd have to relocate a PS cooling line. The oil line is pretty simple to do. I don't think there would be a significant difference in install. Neither could really be called difficult.

I don't know if you can program a Visteon. I know you can't reprogram a Miata ECU. Making a replacement ECU is not cheap nor easy - we've got years of experience in this field. It would push the price of an 8 psi kit too high.

Keith

Darn those Visteon on guys...Maybe we should send them a letter and see if they would be so kind as to send the "secret code" to FM??

You never know until you ask...Well, ok, maybe the answer is laready "no".

Back