Piggyback What?

CRISPY5

:
MAZDA, PROTEGE5,5SPD
Not sure where to post this, but I do have a 2003.5 P5 with a 5spd...

Hello everyone,

I've been searching for 2 days about info on a piggy back for my ECU... Lots of info, but I don't have a translation guide to translate some of your techno speak into lamens terms....

My car is totally stock except for a K&N CAI intake. I have an AWR header in a box going out to JET HOT tomorrow, and a Maganflow Cat Back I'm ready to order any minute now...

All I want to know are the facts about these piggyback resistors for the ECU's?? Do they really help, or are they just a gimmick?

They sell them from $6 to $25 on Ebay.. but are they worth it??

I thought I saw a thread or 2 before about this, but my recent searches came up empty..... One thread talked about a piggyback ECU from... someplace, but I went to that site and it was all motorcycles... It was an Ausi site, but nothing about a Protege or cars.....

Many threads have info on this, but it is all abbreviated like everyone knows what the hell your talking about.... I am totally lost... MCI or whatever?

Like I've said in the past... I don't mind searching, but this is just too much for such a simple thing.... Anyone have anything for me?? I would really apprciate anyone who coule shed some light on this for me...

Thanks..

Crispy5

the ebay "chips" are total junk. there are a growing selection of options for turbocharged proteges from companies Haltech, Modern Performance (MPI) and Unichip but I think engine management for naturally aspirated setups is near nonexistent. The car runs very rich as it is so putting more fuel into it without going turbo probably would not help you out too much

Back