Smoked Taillights

MSPRCRX44

Work In Progress
:
2003 MAZDASPEED PROTEGE
Is it illegal to have smoked out tail lights? i live in california and was wondering if anyone knows if its legal to do? thanks

You'll have to check the laws for your state, but other than Toronto or Connecticut, you probably live in the worst state to try something like that.

The only thing I found in the old (2000) vehicle code book says:

All lamps and reflectors visible from the front, sides, or rear of a vehicle except headlamps, may have any unlighted color, provided the emitted light from all lamps or reflected light from all reflectors complies with the required color. Except for backup lamps, the entire effective projected luminous area of lamps visible from the rear or mounted on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall be covered by an inner lens of the required color when the unlighted color differs from the required emitted light color.

I can't find anything about tinting the tailights being illegal. I smoked mine on this car and on my old car and never had a problem.

Actually, talk to Blue Batmobile. He makes the smoked vinyl kits for tons of cars & I'm almost positive he lives in Cali. If anyone would know about trouble from smoked tails, it would be him.

good luck. i paid him for overlays over 3 weeks ago and still nothing. he is making up all these excuses why it hasnt been sent. really pissing me off.

uclap5 said:
good luck. i paid him for overlays over 3 weeks ago and still nothing. he is making up all these excuses why it hasnt been sent. really pissing me off.
Damn, I was just going to buy some RSX tails for my friend.

Back