6i Fuel Economy?

I've had my 6i (manual)for about 3 weeks now - long enough to buy two tanks of gas, and I'm pretty disappointed with the fuel economy. The first tank of gas was for a road trip and I made 27.3 mpg with virtually the entire trip being highway ~75mph driving. The second tank was virtually all commuting to work in suburban traffic - not nearly as bad as city driving, and I got 22.7 mpg. The sticker advertises 24/32. I'm not a bad driver - I got the advertised fuel economy out of my last car.

Anyone having similar experiences or know of any problems with this? Is there a break-in period?

Also, what are people getting with the s? The main reason I went with the i is the advertised 6mpg improvement in fuel economy.

My fuel economy has been awesome.

I've been getting about 24 mpg in the city and 35mpg highway. I'm also driving constantly about 70-75mph (110-120km/h)

Yes, there is a break-in period. Wait until 3-4000 miles elapse for TRUE readings on mileage. The tires are also stickier (and borderline acceptable) for only the irst few thousand miles - the mileage will increase as the tires start to suck, pretty soon - just like any OEM tire ;)

And the optimal mileage is obtained by driving long stretches on the highway between 50 and 60 mph. For the city - its done by minimizing late shifts (shift under 3K, no S-VT usage) and avoiding too many stops and starts (lights, stop-and-go etc).

FWIW - I'm listing my mileages as observed over an 18K mile period -
Hard City/Easy City driving : 22/26 mpg (worst, under 20!)
Mixed 50/50 driving (City & highway) : 26+ mpg
Fast highway cruising (80+): 29+ mpg
Slow highway trips (55-ish mph): 33+ mpg (best 34!)

The scope for variation is VERY wide. Just depends on how patient you are, and how bored you can afford to become while driving.

FYI: I changed over to synthetic oil at around 1K miles, and have been changing it every 5K miles since.

Since I changed to MUCH stickier Toyo T1-S tires, my mileage (with harder driving, of course) has dropped a good 10%. And this despite the over-reading by the odometer by 2% because the tires are of a smaller radius. But its worth it :) )

I'm only in my first 2000km's..so if I'm lucky it will get even better...that'd be sweet.

this is absolutely nothing new.. I only got about 17mpg on my second tank of gas, but then I took it for a road trip and got around 26 or so.. not bad, but I only have 1000 miles on the ol' girl :)

yeah next oil change do the 0w-20 and that should help as well as the synthetic tranny fluid. as stated before stay out of vvt(s-vt) and you will see better mileage (under 4k rpm's).

Back