always low on antifreeze

ttlkaos

:
03 Black Mazdaspeed
has anyone noticed if there car goes through antifreeze real quick. i don't have a leak anywhere that i've seen but everytime i fill it up to the full line, within about 2 weeks it's already half way down and continues at that pace. the damn thing never comes to a happy median. WTF! (dunno)

With the summer temps and running the car with the a/c on and or hard, your coolant will expand to the point that it will be forced out of the the overflow valve. Thats why you always get a coolant smell after running the MSP.

As long as the radiator itself is not low, I would not worry about the difference between the Low and Full line on the plastic overflow tank. Just top it off as needed. I have 32,800 miles and experience a similar problem at times.

Have you checked the water pump? Do you have any foam in your radiator? At night place a white towel under your car. When morning comes rip the towel out and inspect it.
Has to be sending the coolant some where. It is also possible that the collant line that goes into turbo could be leaking. Oh yea do you smell any coolant? Good luck.....

Last edited:
i've never noticed a smell from my car and i've checked for leaks under the car when i leave in the morning. there are days when i do run my car pretty hard for a bit but then i drive it nice for awhile before i turn it off. plus the timer helps it too when i'm done driving it.

jersey_emt said:
Must be a leak somewhere...
Yeah like possibly a cracked head gasket.If the crack was small enough you would not know it till it was too late.But hey!Thats what the warranty is for.
Matt

I just topped off my P5, too... It only happens durring the summer months around here, and not as frequently as you state; Mine gets a little low after three months in a row of hard driving, personally, which I attribute to evaporative losses from the coolant overflow resivior.

My Coolant was dry a week ago with only 16,XXX Miles...Just another problem to add to the laundry list of warranty work to get done and checked out

FC3s Boy said:
every MSP i have seen always smells like coolant
Yep thats true from what ive observed. Although I know it smelled way less when I had my leaking upper radiator hose replaced with different clamps through the dealer around 10k miles

All MSP's came with the coolant smell as standard equipment. lol

I would at the very least bring it to the dealer to have it documented that there is a problem. Also I would suggest asking them to do a coolant pressure test. I would say that having to fill it every 2 weeks is alittle excessive.

The only thing is, if i take it to the dealer and ask them to check my antifreeze problem, they'll open my hood and say....ahhhhhh, you have an aftermarket intake, sorry, then he'll slap me (hand) and say you, as of now don't have a warranty. (blah) but theres really nothing i can do but just try, unless the intake is what makes all the antifreeze go away, which i doubt it.

I purchased my MSP in February and I only have 7500 mi on the car, but I've had to refill the coolant too. Half of the miles on my car were during cold months here in Chicago so there is no way I should have burned through the entire resevoir of coolant. I've never seen any leaks on the ground, the resevoir has never boiled over, and the car has never overheated. Cars should not loose coolant like this, what gives?

I had the same problem and brought it to my dealer. I watched them replace the coolant resovoir and the associated hoses. They told me the resovoir was unable to hold pressure? BTW-do you have small coolant traces around the res area? I did. oh, and just take off the intake when you go, they wont know. (2thumbs)

Back