Dealer refuses to change oil at 1500 miles...

dficken

OK quick question. A buddy of mine bought a protege not too long ago and took his car up to the dealership @ 1500 miles to get the oil changed. The guy at the dealership refused to change the oil and said if you change it before 5000 miles, you will have problems down the road with the seals. Supposedy he said that the engine is supposed to run with the same oil for 5000 miles to seal the engine better. btw... he didn't say that the engine had a "special" oil or anything... i believe he said it was normal oil.

My question is.. have you guys ever heard of anything like this? My p5 is at 1500 right now and i was planning on changing it. Then i was going to change it again at 3000. After that, every 3000 miles. I was just asking to make sure i haven't been under a rock all this time and see if this is BS or actually valid reasoning.

Thanks,
Dale.

I took mine to the dealer at 1k and they changed it for me... nobody told me anything remotely related to what they told you... personally, i've never heard of that before. As a matter of face... there's a slew of posts on the forum regarding "after break in" oil changes. It's common practice.

i've changed my oil at 3000km which mean around 1800mile...i heard a guy said you change your oil at 3000k to clean out all the dirty inside the engine..and those metal rust...
but if that guy refuse to change your oil...he a stupid bastard....you decide what you wanna do with the car..he can't refuse it...
i think you should go to another mazda dealer

dficken said:
OK quick question. A buddy of mine bought a protege not too long ago and took his car up to the dealership @ 1500 miles to get the oil changed. The guy at the dealership refused to change the oil and said if you change it before 5000 miles, you will have problems down the road with the seals. Supposedy he said that the engine is supposed to run with the same oil for 5000 miles to seal the engine better. btw... he didn't say that the engine had a "special" oil or anything... i believe he said it was normal oil.

My question is.. have you guys ever heard of anything like this? My p5 is at 1500 right now and i was planning on changing it. Then i was going to change it again at 3000. After that, every 3000 miles. I was just asking to make sure i haven't been under a rock all this time and see if this is BS or actually valid reasoning.

Thanks,
Dale.

If the mechanic didn't want his money, then maybe he was trying to give you good advice. Not bad coming from a dealership. The special oil would come as standard for all new cars I think.

If I had asked, my dealership wouldn't hesistate or object in putting water in my engine as motor oil substitute as long as I pay them money for the service.

I had my oil changed at 1,000 miles (free service), but that doesn't seem necessary. I've also heard a lot of folks here and on other boards that mentions how original factory motor oil have special agents to help break-in a new engine. They recommend to keep that motor oil in for at least the first three thousand miles.

While I've also heard some folks say to change the motor oil at the first thousand miles, next at 3,000 miles then every 3,000 miles if you are using regular conventional motor oil. So yeah, I have also heard how the "special" oil is suppose to help seal the engine better... but I don't know if that is true.

Now that I think about it, I should have just waited until 3,000 miles before changing it for the first time. I don't think it hurts to change it, but it is just not necessary and a waste of time and money unless you drive in VERY dusty and dirty environment.

Factory cars do not come with any "Special Oil". Actually... It is regular 10w30 (in our case). Other manufacturers factory fill their high-end cars with name brand stuff (i.e. Chevy fills Corevette's with Mobil1).

At any rate... as my friend put it... "that saying was used back when engines weren't as tightly toleranced as today's".

So while it is not absolutely necessary to change the oil early, it doesn't hurt either.

I don't know why people keep bringing up the whole oil change deal. Every 3,000 miles is when you're supposed to do it. Brand new or not, same thing. You're just draining money thinking that your "brand new" car needs an oil change early "just to be sure." My brother is an auto mechanic and keeps my car in top condition for me. He does the oil changes, inspections, repairs, and everything else. According to him, 3,000 means 3,000 no matter how old your car is. Cars over 100,000 miles just need different motor oil than it needed when it was newer. I'm pretty sure no one's P5 is to that limit yet. If you can afford synthetic, go for it. It really does work much better, but it still requires a change at 3,000 miles. Heck, stretch it to 3,500 and it wouldn't be a big deal.

MYFBPEX00 said:
3000 is a marketing ploy by jiffy lube and the likes, follow the damn owners manual since that is why it is there.

agreed......piss away your money every 3k miles if you want. I'm sticking with the 5000 mile interval (which IS still VERY conservative). The owners manuals recommend 7500 (i belive).

It depends on how hard you drive and whether or not its all city driving, but only in SUPER EXTREME cases would you need to do it at 3k. (extreme meaning all of those miles being race miles at the track or something)

As for changing your oil for the first time.........1000-3000 is fine ;)

Actually, if you do any city driving, or short distance driving, (and nearly 100% of us DO) the owners manual recommends 5,000 miles or 4 months whichever comes first.

I've always just used 3,000 miles for all my cars, but even then, I occasionally go beyound the recommended 4 months, so I guess I can't even call myself "conservative" when it comes to oil changes.

Also good to realize that the guy who writes the manufacturers recommended intervals for stuff like this wants to make sure that you have zero problems with the car while it's in the warranty period, but then he doesn't want it to last forever either, as he needs to sell you another new car, and sooner is better than later, for him at least ;)

Don

Jesus lord, so many opinions.
To the very first post: Your dealer was giving you the runaround. We come with stock, non-synthetic 10w-30 (or 5w-30), and while they are not required to, it would have been a show of "customer luvin'" to change the oil for you.

Changing your oil at break-in does NOT harm the car. And it does have an added safety (but not a necessary) benefit. You want to remove trapped particles that remain from manufacture, and the time that the block was "open," or unsealed during manufacture. It could be that there ARE no particles in the motor remaining from manufacture, which means that the oil change didnt do much, but it does not hurt to change in case they do exist.

3,000 is not a ploy of the oil companies. Okay, it is a ploy of the oil companies.:rolleyes: But it's also a good idea. The mileage effectiveness of both oils and the manuals is for effective lubrication and protectant (anti-corrosive, etc) life. However microparticles (the things your filter catches) are always entering the motor, there's nothing to be done about it. The filter also has a limited effectiveness. And if you have installed a CAI or ram, you may be ingesting more, despite the filter claims. changing the oil (and do it while it's hot, folks) removes all those particles and lets your motor start anew. YES it costs more money, YES it is more time-consuming, but YES it will extend the life of your motor, given that everything else still works. If you dont care about driving the car for 100K, then dont worry about it. This is for people who keep and love their cars for a long time, not 3- or 5-year buyers.

And just on a lark (ooh, old people talk) I'll throw in this study on various oil effectiveness, so we can shop around:
Cat in the Hat smacked a fat gnat with a black bat

Last edited:
hey thanks for the good advice guys! sounds like i will changin my oil pretty soon! just do whatever you want, thats how i feel!

I feel like I'm upsetting some folks so accept my apologies. I consider my brother an expert since he's owned his auto shop for 20 years and tells me a lot of things regarding the auto industry. I'm just telling you guys about these things thinking it might help, but if you disagree, it's all well. Regarding the owners manual, the manufacture does it for one reason, your business. Changing your oil when they recommend instead of sooner means you'll see them more often. That's what they want, so that's what they recommend. It won't cause major damage, but it's just enough for them to say, "we'll fix it for you." I just agree with this because he's an expert, but maybe not to you guys. So if you disagree, ignore me.

I don't know about all you guys but i change my oil around 3k-4k miles. and when that oil comes out it's pich black. I could't imagine keeping that black dirty oil in untill 7500 miles.

stupid people

Last time I check none of you got a bachelor's of science in Engineering or worked at an auto company. So to put it straight, keep wasting your money, by changing your oil whenever you do ie (1000, 1200, 3000 miles). The factory recommends that cars have their oil changed at 5000 miles. The engines today are built with stronger aluminum, and cast iron. 3000 miles is recommended by the oil companies, because they lobby to improve their business. it is not going to hurt your car one bit, to change it at 5000 miles, that is why they recommend it. These engines have durability tests run on engine dyno's with these characteristics measured. They know when the oil properties start to break down and where down your engine. I hate stupid ignorant people who think they know stuff cause they read it on a website.

Re: stupid people

jhanson9 said:
Last time I check none of you got a bachelor's of science in Engineering or worked at an auto company. So to put it straight, keep wasting your money, by changing your oil whenever you do ie (1000, 1200, 3000 miles). The factory recommends that cars have their oil changed at 5000 miles. The engines today are built with stronger aluminum, and cast iron. 3000 miles is recommended by the oil companies, because they lobby to improve their business. it is not going to hurt your car one bit, to change it at 5000 miles, that is why they recommend it. These engines have durability tests run on engine dyno's with these characteristics measured. They know when the oil properties start to break down and where down your engine. I hate stupid ignorant people who think they know stuff cause they read it on a website.

Maybe you should check yourself too, buddy. Do you have a Bachelor's of Science in Engineering or work at an auto company? And who ever said working at an auto company means you know about oil and engines? The factory doesn't recommend 5000 miles anyway. According to the U.S. manual, it's 7500. At least I'm going by what an auto mechanic, who has been in the business for over 20 years, says about oil changes instead of listening to you. So maybe you should at least get your facts right, and stop hating stupid, ignorant people, like yourself. Ignorant people insult other people for their opinions and you seem to do that very well. Anyway, check your grammar next time before you post too: "..where down your engine." It's wear, so maybe you should go back to school and stop worrying if people have their degrees or not.

Last edited:
Re: Re: stupid people

WaatDaHell said:

Maybe you should check yourself too, buddy. Do you have a Bachelor's of Science in Engineering or work at an auto company? And who ever said working at an auto company means you know about oil and engines? The factory doesn't recommend 5000 miles anyway. According to the U.S. manual, it's 7500. At least I'm going by what an auto mechanic, who has been in the business for over 20 years, says about oil changes instead of listening to you. So maybe you should at least get your facts right, and stop hating stupid, ignorant people, like yourself. Ignorant people insult other people for their opinions and you seem to do that very well. Anyway, check your grammar next time before you post too: "..where down your engine." It's wear, so maybe you should go back to school and stop worrying if people have their degrees or not.

I have a Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering from University of Michigan. And working on a Master's of Science in Mechanical Engineering from U of M. I also know that "working for an automotive company, that I design and test, and the "mechanic puts my car together" i say jump, he says how high!

Re: Re: Re: stupid people

jhanson9 said:

I have a Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering from University of Michigan. And working on a Master's of Science in Mechanical Engineering from U of M. I also know that "working for an automotive company, that I design and test, and the "mechanic puts my car together" i say jump, he says how high!

Well, maybe you should act like it and maybe even speak like it. Stop thinking too highly of yourself. Why not advise instead of insult since you have so much knowledge? If you say jump and they say how high there, why don't you do the same here? If you inform, they'll listen and ask questions. Stop talking like you have a pencil up your ass just because you have a damn degree.

Re: Re: Re: Re: stupid people

have you ever looked under the hood of a focus or a ZX2, looks a hell of a lot like or engine. Don't forget that MAzda and ford have been swapping motors in each otherr cars for years. Who do you think made the motors in the Probes. I don't care if you bro is a mechanic or not just let this subjuect drop and for everyone else justdo what Mazda tells you to do.

WaatDaHell said:

Well, maybe you should act like it and maybe even speak like it. Stop thinking too highly of yourself. Why not advise instead of insult since you have so much knowledge? If you say jump and they say how high there, why don't you do the same here? If you inform, they'll listen and ask questions. Stop talking like you have a pencil up your ass just because you have a damn degree.

Back