Spark plugs

Phoenix5

:
2K2 Sport20 Familia 5spd-C-Red!
Hey guys,I thinking about upgrading my spark plugs.Either to platinum or possibly iridium.Has anyone upgraded their plugs??What's the best price??

i wasted my money on ngk iridiums. honestly, i don't think they did anything to improve performance. i think they were like ~$6 each. save yourself some money and just get some regular plugs.

I know they don't do s*** 4 performance.I just want better gas milage.Anyone else??

by performance, i thought you meant if the car felt peppier or what not.

i did notice my mileage went up, but don't know if it is because of the type of plug or just the fact that new plugs are in. i changed my plugs at 30k miles and usually filled up at 1/4 tank with about 300 miles on the trip meter. now at 1/4 tank it's usually at 340 miles.

Last edited:
... crap.. I paid $8 each for denso iridiums...

and they dont do anything?? damnit!

guys you will never notice 1whp!!!!! hell you wont even notice 2, 3, 4 or even 5whp!

just get what you want. i have ngk iridiums and i am happy...being happy is all that matters.

I got autolite double platinums no performance or fuel economy do u have to reset ur ecu when u change plugs lik that

haha honestly just go to the store ask if they have plugs for your car and buy a brand you know. no reset involed just makes sure your plugs are still firing..

Just installed Denso iridium ik20 yesterday. I did notice a smoother idle and acceleration.
Are they worth the cost? Sure, but don't expect to some magic HP increase.

Crypt0wind said:
Just installed Denso iridium ik20 yesterday. I did notice a smoother idle and acceleration.
Are they worth the cost? Sure, but don't expect to some magic HP increase.

i gotta ask though... how much more of a difference does iridium plugs make, rather than regular or platinum? and what are the differences? (for exmple, you said a smoother idle).. and are there any possible NEGATIVE effects from upgrading to iridium on a car that isnt heavily moded (just CAI and rear section exhaust)?

capnsavem said:
i gotta ask though... how much more of a difference does iridium plugs make, rather than regular or platinum? and what are the differences? (for exmple, you said a smoother idle).. and are there any possible NEGATIVE effects from upgrading to iridium on a car that isnt heavily moded (just CAI and rear section exhaust)?

My 2002 P5 has 20K miles, CIA and cat-back exhaust. I decided to upgrade the ignition system with Denso iridium plugs, ground system and r-type plug wires. I first pulled what I believe are the original Denso non-iridium k16pr-u plugs and installed the Denso iridium IK20. Went for a test-drive and instantly noticed how much smoother the engine felt. The k16pr had 20K on them so it could be that they just needed to be replaced. How much a difference they made is very subjective.

I'm going to install the new plug wires and ground system today. I like to test one thing at a time to compare any improvements.

I don't think you will have any negative effects from installing the iridium plugs. Since mine are a colder type of plug compared to the k16pr, fouling maybe a problem if I idle or drive low RPMs, but that isn't a concern since I'm always keeping the RPMs up.

Is there a major performance advantage to installing the Denso iridium compared to regular NGK, probably not. Is there a psychological effect, yes...

Hey are ngk zfr5f-11 pre gapped for our cars. If no what are the gapp ranges for a Protege5/es non turbo..

1.1 mm is the correct gapping.

when i got ngk zfr5f-11 they werent correcly gapped tho. and neither were the stock ones i pulled out.

I put some split-fire plugs in last week at 30,100 miles. The car runs smoother,but after the factory plugs had 30K, it better run better with new plugs. The gap i used was .44 and i paid $12.58 for four at walmart. Good purchase I believe.

-R

To answer all those questions out there here is my answer. plugs will not gain much if any power. the main benefit from iridium plugs is that you wont have to change them for like 80,000 miles or something ridiculus like that. another benefit is that they more than likely will smooth out your engine and reduce emissions. idle will be better, throttle response bettter. along with better wires, plugs ease the strain on the electrical system. as for better mileage you wont notice a huge change because the improvement will be so minute and also because mileage is subjective given conditions. youd have to really gauge it well. as for those of you who have put plugs in your car from manufacturers other than denso or ngk i wish you well and hope your car doesnt die prematurely. for japenese cars you should only be using ngk or denso plugs, they are the best. stick to the prescribed heat ranges of the manufacturer if it is a daily driver. for race use whatever floats your boat cuz your going to have to rebuild often anyway.

i have pesonally installed denso iridium plugs. i got them when they first hit the market so i paid more than im sure most of you have. they helped to smooth out my engine. it idles better and revs better. i will say that i did notice the difference right away. i changed the plugs after 3000 miles. as for mileage no real difference. the only mod that i truly noticed a difference was with my intake on the highway.

Phoenix5 said:
Nice,I'll probably go with Denso Iridiums,but how many do I need??

please tell me you are not serious asking how many plugs you need. (shocked)

Yeah,I am actually!Go ahead call me stupid.This will be my first time buying spark plugs.

Back