Another Blown N/A

xelderx

Zoom Zoom Boom X 3
Went driving in the mountains today. Dove into a turn heavy on the brakes and engine braking in 2nd gear. On the exit I hear a nice little rattle...thought it was the tranny since it felt a little stiff shifting into third immediately after, but as soon as I got it into third I heard the dreaded knock. Sounds like I lost a rod bearing. I limped her home staying under 3,000 RPM's so it wouldn't rattle too bad. Looks like I have something to to take up my free time for the next week or two.

Last edited:
I'm keeping my mouth shut... :(
Hope you get her back up and running Justin. Let us know if you need a hand. Thankfully you always have another car to sport you around for the meantime.

Yea...94,000 very hard miles though. I was counting the days until something gave up the fight.

So you at least drove it hard and it gave out? It sucks to hear stories of people who have those problems and have never had it above 3000RPM.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, since I live above the redline. Although BPs are known for longivity and strength, I've only had the car 20,000 of the 165,000km it has.

Are you going to build it up with stronger parts? Rods, pistons etc?

This thing never had it easy, so I'm not shocked or anything. I was thinking about doing something to build the motor, but I AutoX the car and if I go by the rules I can't change anything internally with the motor and stay in the same class that I drive now. The rest of the car is setup for that clas and if I move up in class due to the motor I'll have to redo everything else as well. I'll probably just throw another stock motor in there and keep my fingers crossed for another 50,000 miles.

At least you got 94K out of yours! Mine went out at 30K, dealer replaced the shortblock and it still sounds horrid. I figure MAYBE another 15-20K and I'll need another. Weak ass motor...

Man, this is making me want to pussyfoot my around town now. I don't want to risk losing my motor, since it obviously seems weak.

the whole thing is , the engine wasnt designed to race around town every day..

you might be able to just get away with a crank kit..

do the oil pans in these things have baffles to keep the oil pump from running dry?
I was turning really hard for an extented period in my car, the oil light came on and then that was the last of my engine, the oil pan in my car is more like an oil bucket

what class do u race in HS? or SP?...you know if you get internals ull be is SM and then you can kiss your ass goodby...SM is impossable...

snowman4us said:
what class do u race in HS? or SP?...you know if you get internals ull be is SM and then you can kiss your ass goodby...SM is impossable...
I'm in STS and I don't plan on doing anything to the internals other than installing a high flow oil pump and probably a set of Toga High performance bearings, just to help keep things safe from now on out.

Damnit justin, i'm sorry to hear it happened to you too..I got word today from the stealership that in fact tore up a bearing..i drive too hard into corners and i starved it of oil for a split second..its all up in the air now if i'm going to rebuild or just scrap the whole protege concept..at least you got 90k..i got 33k.

hey you can always put HC pistons on...they will never know you have them unless you tell them....J/k...lol

why are u in STS? what do u have donw to ur car? full exaust intake, springs?

All it takes for sts is the intake which is kinda lame, esp since there is only two sets of headers that work for it and one doesn't have any dyno gains at all.... and you are def. right- SM class- I don't wanna go there either!

snowman4us said:
hey you can always put HC pistons on...they will never know you have them unless you tell them....J/k...lol

why are u in STS? what do u have donw to ur car? full exaust intake, springs?
Yea...just an intake will throw you into STS but I have larger swaybars, GC coilovers, CAI, MP3 ECU, 15 inch wheels, short shifter. once I get my camber plates I'll be pretty well set up for running at the top of the local STS ranks.

Back