Good days and bad days

Protege_Speed

:
2002.5 ES Auto with MSP Conversion
There are some days that my car really pulls and the shift points are high in the rpm and there are days when my car is really sluggish and the shift points are lower in the rpm. I have also had days when the car doesn't pull as quick but it still shifts high in the rpm. You can also here a difference in the engine sound. On the good days, the engine sounds smooth and on the bad days, it sounds rough. My question is, how can I make the car so that it is consistent and the power is solid? What do you think the problem is? Is it A/F ratio? Should I get a A/F guage? Would a EMS like a MPI tuner help? I am not boosted and I also have an auto. All info is appreciated.

I don't think it's heat cause it could run like crap first thing in the morning when I first start it or after the car has cooled off for a couple of hours.

I have about 17k on it but it's been like that for a while. Can't really remember when it wasn't.

you know i remember reading something about this, i believe on this forum, but anyways, there was a spacer that goes in between the block and the intake if i remember right. but it was supposed to make it run smoother and cooler. never heard anything else about it, but it may be worth checking into.

It could be heat AND humidity affecting you in terms of the engine itself. Maybe the idle is off too.

I hate to break it to you but an auto isn't the best for performance at different temperatures compared to a manual.

When it's hot, you'll find performance is sluggish b/c the auto tranny fluids can get overheated quickly. An auto tranny cooler might help, but honestly a manual is the way to go for performance.

I find the manual P5 pretty good for performance in a wide temperature range versus an auto P5.

I guess I will look into a tranny cooler. From what I remember, they aren't too expensive and are pretty easy to install. Anyone install one yet? Any recommendations?

My car is stick and I can notice the performance differences due to the temp/humidity. Acts exactly the same as you are describing. As for how to make it consistent, dunno. That what makes no sense to me, fuel injection should conpensate, but it doesn't. So much for theory...

yes my car is stick and the same here as well. Sometimes it feels like there is no power, and sometimes it feels like i can race a ferrary "doh"
but in all seriousness it is in fact true. Funny thing is that my Probe GT used to be the same way. Sometimes a s*** box and sometimes a ferrary....
i think this shows that the car has a personality

Back