Subframe = CrossMember???

low_psi

Contributor
:
ms|slowtege #399
So am I nuts or is the front subframe/cross member the same piece? Its just held on by a total of 4 bolts eh? Time to get down and dirty :)

yeah it is...

i dunno about everyone else but I had to remove it to get to my oil filter.(boom07)

wtf, that's nuts man... i can get my small hands in just about anywhere though...

wouldn't you need an alignment after removing and re-installation?

Did anyone else notice that theres a difference in crossmembers between the 2002 and 2002.5+ models?

mx3ownzj00 said:
wtf, that's nuts man... i can get my small hands in just about anywhere though...

wouldn't you need an alignment after removing and re-installation?
i dont think so, but I got it aligned anyways because of the springs...

oh, cause i know you have to add some washers on it for the apex catted downpipe. i dunno why the guy said i'd need an alignment..maybe some cars do depending where it bolts up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just noticed that the shape of the crossmember is different. I have an 2002 and when I change my oil the crossmember doesn't get in the way of the filter at all. I've also worked on numerous other 2002 models since I work at jiffy lube and found the same thing. On the 2002.5+ models the crossmember makes it a PITA to get the oil filter off. Its just a small difference in shape.

yep, told ya...the crossmember in my 03.5 makes the oil filter a PITA. you cant get any leverage on it because your arm is sandwiched between the trans and the X-member.

?? I just reach behind the crossmember. Never had much of a problem. I hate doing it when its hot. Always burn my arm on the bearing support for the axle. All 3rd gen proteges are like that. At least they aren't miatas....those are a real b**** hot.

FYI, worked the pit at JL for 5 years....

hmm.. I have a 02.5 with no problems, maybe it's just on 03+?

or maybe i'm small and maneuverable...

probably the latter, but I had no issues changing my oil filter

Back