Fuel Efficiency With CAI

goldwing2000

Turd in the punch bowl
:
2004 Mazda3s Hatch; 269,000 miles
Ok, so I just had my first fill-up after installing the CAI and ETB ground last Thursday and coolant bypass a couple days later. I have been going like stink and basically just driving like an ass enjoying the extra hp. In a nutshell, I was not expecting to see any big mpg.

Total miles at fill-up: 325
Miles with CAI: 270
Gallons filled: 11.???

MPG: 29!!

Boy, was I shocked! That's on par with the best mileage I've ever gotten while granny-driving (never going over 3500 rpm, always using the highest gear possible).

If I can keep my foot off the firewall, I'm going to try granny-driving this next tank and see if I can actually beat the EPA estimates. (thumb)

Full?

goldwing2000 said:
Ok, so I just had my first fill-up after installing the CAI and ETB ground last Thursday and coolant bypass a couple days later. I have been going like stink and basically just driving like an ass enjoying the extra hp. In a nutshell, I was not expecting to see any big mpg.

Gallons filled: 11.???

MPG: 29!!

Boy, was I shocked! That's on par with the best mileage I've ever gotten while granny-driving (never going over 3500 rpm, always using the highest gear possible).

If I can keep my foot off the firewall, I'm going to try granny-driving this next tank and see if I can actually beat the EPA estimates. (thumb)

Was the tank full when you put the CAI on? i.e. was all 11 gals condumed while the CAI was on the car?

Tim

Loose said:
Was the tank full when you put the CAI on? i.e. was all 11 gals condumed while the CAI was on the car?

Tim

Ummm... no. Like I said:

:D

goldwing2000 said:
Ummm... no. Like I said:

:D
Hmmmm. With CAI, shorty/CB, OBTB, Iridiums I got 32.68 last tank on P5.
Driven mostly over 70 and pushing it out of the hole... (bowdown)

While I do not have the coolent by pass done ,I have seen similar gains as well on my LX sedan . The best I have gotten was 34 miles per gallon ,all highway , 60- 65 mph . I usually get around 32 mpg .

I've actually been getting pretty good averages and not granny driving all the time... My mileage thread

I increased from an average of 26 on the first ten fillups to 29.05 on the next ten. I've had a few times getting 33mpg out of Lina when I was driving a long highway drive without air conditioning

how many gallons is it from full till your gas light comes on. i thought i had read 11.5 gallons. if this is the case i got 28 mpg on my very first tank of gas wich i think isnt to bad since its mostly suburb driving (not quite city not quite highway)

gino said:
Hmmmm. With CAI, shorty/CB, OBTB, Iridiums I got 32.68 last tank on P5.
Driven mostly over 70 and pushing it out of the hole... (bowdown)

Well, sure... but you got a littler motor. (lol2)

Seriously, that's pretty good mileage. It's about on par with the 3i.

sndsgood said:
how many gallons is it from full till your gas light comes on. i thought i had read 11.5 gallons. if this is the case i got 28 mpg on my very first tank of gas wich i think isnt to bad since its mostly suburb driving (not quite city not quite highway)

Most people have the light come on a different time, from what I hear, but it has to be more than 11.5. I put almost 11.5 in mine and it was still showing about a quarter tank.

I don't know for sure, though. I never let mine get low enough to turn on the light. It's not really good for the fuel pump and it's not good from an "emergency" standpoint. I like to keep enough fuel in the car to where I can drive 100 miles in an emergency.

yeah the light fluxuates between each car for some odd reaon for mazdas

I get about 29 all the time- and I never granny drive- highway is just over 30-31 for me, no complaints here!

shinzen said:
I get about 29 all the time- and I never granny drive- highway is just over 30-31 for me, no complaints here!

Yep. And you, just like the other Protege guy, have a smaller engine and less HP than the 3 (you did realize that you were posting in the Mazda3 forum, right?). (thumb)

goldwing2000 said:
Yep. And you, just like the other Protege guy, have a smaller engine and less HP than the 3 (you did realize that you were posting in the Mazda3 forum, right?). (thumb)
DOH!!! Damn different forums!!! NM me just(lurk) a bit and being jealous of more hp...

shinzen said:
DOH!!! Damn different forums!!! NM me just(lurk) a bit and being jealous of more hp...

Hehehe...no worries. After all... you do get better gas mileage. (flash)

I beat the holy hell out of the car on this last tankfull. Hole-shots, redline up-shifts, high-rpm downshifts, extended jaunts up to 95mph (ish)...

Still got over 28 mpg. :D I love my CAI!

Latest posts

Back