Spool Turbo MP3 Blew Up

CONEH8R said:
I'll race you. :D
From the lawn chair, into the car, and then up the road. :D

Ok, I'm done now... back to the corner...
Sheeit... you never even get off your ass in the first place :D So I think it'd be a short race. You'd look at the distance and be like "that's too far, I'll just watch a movie" and that'd be the end of it! (drive)

But anyway..

Yeah definitely doing the forged route. Vendors line up! LOL... it'll take until at earliest December... at lastest March to get the money all together and get rolling on everything. Largely considering buying a build block from the likes of MPI, MAMotorsports, or SPD racing at this point, maybe others over time. Lots of research and vendor communication to go yet. And hell it's a good 6-10 months out anyway. Lots of saving to do!

CONEH8R said:
I'll race you. :D
From the lawn chair, into the car, and then up the road. :D

Ok, I'm done now... back to the corner...
(help)
Oh look, it is the other white meat! He posts, he lives. . .

Hey when we put the GT-2 on both cars side by side. . .I beat yours up. End of story. . .
(rockon)

Now if we tried it today. . .who knows.

I will give you this though. . .your car runs smoother and is certainly less problematic. Can't wait to live vicariously through you two as I now have little time or money to make mine the beast it deserves to be. Who's idea was it to have a kid! Wait that was mine. . .hey little S-dogg, want to go play with your uncles? Daddy has some car work to do!

Edited for the following great post (damn that's true and funny):

TurfBurn said:
Sheeit... you never even get off your ass in the first place :D So I think it'd be a short race. You'd look at the distance and be like "that's too far, I'll just watch a movie" and that'd be the end of it! (drive)

Last edited:
Little Beavis said:
(help)

Hey when we put the GT-2 on both cars side by side. . .I beat yours up. End of story. . .
(rockon)

Now if we tried it today. . .who knows.

I will give you this though. . .your car runs smoother and is certainly less problematic. Can't wait to live vicariously through you two as I now have little time or money to make mine the beast it deserves to be. Who's idea was it to have a kid! Wait that was mine. . .hey little S-dogg, want to go play with your uncles? Daddy has some car work to do!

Edited for the following great post (damn that's true and funny):

Ah, yes the other white meat...

yeah, no problems yet. And 35mpg when I drove pure highway at 80mph. I "guess" I can deal with that. Slighty better than the V8.

Too bad I got a bogus hood... j/k

I need more boost... but safely.. and when i'm not under warranty...

Let me tell you. The MP3 has nothing for cornering on the Blazer! :) And the 20 mpg at best on the highway is awesome too I might add! LOL :)

Little Beavis said:
(help)

(rockon)

oh-ok, pick on the little brother time... i see what's going on here...

who's got the running turbo'd mazda right now? what? silence? that's what i thought.... :cool:

LOL.. this is probably the first time all 3 of us have been in the same thread. Obviously that was a good thing! :D Anyway...

So my engine blew up..... yeah... and I'll have pictures of at least some of it tonight!

I dont know but the plugs may have contributed to the cause...because my EGT was cool all the time, but the A/F was on the 13:1 side.

I dont know yet. will take pics tonight also. Im sure I saw 1 piston OUT of the rod...

Has anyone told Terry??? Sorry to hear about that. 253whp..stock internals...that'll do it.

igdrasil said:
11psi. Raced against an STI and won all races by 3-4 car lenghts not from the hole
:confused: 3 or 4 car lengths on an STi ??????? Huh?

Nah Terry doesn't know yet... I'll give him a call soon or something.... he'll be bummed I'm sure.

I won't have my head off for a while yet. But I do hope to take it off and get more pics for you guys in the next few weeks.

RAAZ227 said:
Has anyone told Terry??? Sorry to hear about that. 253whp..stock internals...that'll do it.

:confused: 3 or 4 car lengths on an STi ??????? Huh?
yeah...no faith huh?

STIs pull more like 234WHP...Our cars are around that WHP with ~11psi

igdrasil said:
yeah...no faith huh?

It's not that I don't have faith in you. Congrats on it. A stock STi puts down 254 awhp. Just 3 or 4 car lenths made me question that. That's all.

RAAZ227 said:
It's not that I don't have faith in you. Congrats on it. A stock STi puts down 254 awhp. Just 3 or 4 car lenths made me question that. That's all.
yeah well...I blew the engine so...I loose anyway.

And I know he was racing because he waited the tow-truck with me. (upyours)

roni said:
huh (uhm) (dunno)

something's not right
Exactly, hence my thought that maybe something was wrong with the car before it blew up. But it didn't matter what psi I ran, or what timing or what fuel really. I mean I could get it to run a little smoother or pull a little harder between running like pig rich and 12....

For example... If I was in 3rd gear and held it to the floor and let it go from 3,000 rpm's to 6,000 rpm's. I would have two different thigns happen. In one case the boost would hold at 8 psi and the AFR would be about 12 and the car would pull even and strong all the way through until the next shift. In other cases, I would get boost creap and the last 1,000 rpm's the boost would creep up to around 14 from. Even though it was creeping from 8-14 I would get no difference in actual pull from the engine. It didn't accelerate harder, it didn't sound different, AFR's would change a little with my tune, but it wouldn't pull anymore.

Pretty much symptomatic of the car that I couldn't get past was that whether i ran 5 psi or anything more the car wouldn't get faster. In some cases it woudl actually start to become SLOWER when the boost went up. So it was very weird.

and i had 3 different pieces registering my boost levels on two different vaccuum lines, boost gauge and boost controller on one line, and microtech on another line. They all agreed as to what boost they were seeing. So it wasn't a vacuum issue either. they were tapped from different locations.

CONEH8R said:
oh-ok, pick on the little brother time... i see what's going on here...

who's got the running turbo'd mazda right now? what? silence? that's what i thought.... :cool:
:D

Nothing but love for you man. . .

And technically, mine still runs. . .it just leaks a little exhaust. . .even then I still say it is faster!

(stooges) Three brothers in one thread is too much. I must leave now.

igdrasil said:
yeah...no faith huh?

l
@8psi my friends stock sti barley pulled on me... from a roll(evil)

TurfBurn said:
Exactly, hence my thought that maybe something was wrong with the car before it blew up. But it didn't matter what psi I ran, or what timing or what fuel really. I mean I could get it to run a little smoother or pull a little harder between running like pig rich and 12....

For example... If I was in 3rd gear and held it to the floor and let it go from 3,000 rpm's to 6,000 rpm's. I would have two different thigns happen. In one case the boost would hold at 8 psi and the AFR would be about 12 and the car would pull even and strong all the way through until the next shift. In other cases, I would get boost creap and the last 1,000 rpm's the boost would creep up to around 14 from. Even though it was creeping from 8-14 I would get no difference in actual pull from the engine. It didn't accelerate harder, it didn't sound different, AFR's would change a little with my tune, but it wouldn't pull anymore.

Pretty much symptomatic of the car that I couldn't get past was that whether i ran 5 psi or anything more the car wouldn't get faster. In some cases it woudl actually start to become SLOWER when the boost went up. So it was very weird.

and i had 3 different pieces registering my boost levels on two different vaccuum lines, boost gauge and boost controller on one line, and microtech on another line. They all agreed as to what boost they were seeing. So it wasn't a vacuum issue either. they were tapped from different locations.
Have you tried a manual boost controller? Even with my wacky spool manifold I eliminated the really disturbing boost creep with a manual boost controller.

Back when I had the Greddy Profec E-01 for boost control, and the Spool manifold, I had spikes up to the mid 15s, and up to 18 if I remember correctly..

What was the AFR change on those spikes? Was it going lean/rich?

Last edited:
Back