protege5 with rx7 brake upgrade??

:
2001 323 Astina SP20 (P5)
rx7 brake upgrade

hey ppl

i was thinking of getting both front and rear series 6 rx7 calipers, getting 304mm x 28mm discs for the front (will get a caliper widening kit) and whatever size rotor on the back. just wondering if anytong has done this as yet?

twilightprotege said:
hey ppl

i was thinking of getting both front and rear series 6 rx7 calipers, getting 304mm x 28mm discs for the front (will get a caliper widening kit) and whatever size rotor on the back. just wondering if anytong has done this as yet?
I dont have an answer for you Twilight, but you might try posting it in the Tires and Suspension forum. Or maybe the mods should create a section just for brakes. Not a very sexy topic, but still important.

just my .02 cents
scorch70

we had a extra set of 300zx brakes that we were looking into putting on a mazdspeed, it would take some work to make it fit

it shouldnt be too difficult to upgrade to fc3s (calipers i'm looking at) or fd3s calipers as they are the same (fc3s just has cooling fins) and the mounting holes are the same width apart as our calipers (off a rough measurement). i'll i'd really need to do is get a bracket made up to move the caliper out further - that shouldnt be difficult

i've already found the calipers i need - they are $400aud - that's around $270usd. all i need to do is get them rebuilt which doesnt cost much at all. get them high-temp powder coated black and then sand back the mazda writing - very subtle

great idea... i had thought of this too but never persued it. finding the calipers would be easy.. making the spacers would be harder. how many pistons does the rx7 calipers have. what year rx7 too?

the rx7 had 4 psiton calipers , some of the base models fc had the 2 piston calipers

yea i was looking at z32 or rx7 breaks but for the z32's you'll need a +35 offest, no higher. kinda screws us.

i'm going to test fit my buddies Silvia brakes before he swaps them on. no way they'll fit my +55 offset tough :(

yeah models for the 4 piston calipers were series 4 onwards (1986???). like fc3s said, some of the base models came w/o 4 piston calipers - they were actually 1 piston calipers no 2. FC model calipers appear to be better as they have cooling fins on the calipers, where as the FD didnt.

mp3skater - great idea!!!!! let us know what you find.

FC3s - do you know what size rotor the FC and FD came with? i know they were only 23mm thick, but dont know the rotor size

this thread definitely peaks interest. wondered the same thing. the show guys would probably love it for the "mazda" on the caliper and the performance buffs would love the extra braking force. (thumb)

i'm really hoping that mp3skater finds out that it is a direct drop in for our cars...it should be, but the rotors probably need to be larger to work better....

I have my Pro5 on stands right now and my '86 GXL is sitting right beside it. I'll play with it this weekend and see what happens.

Back