Clutch Questions

Pretzellogic

Contributor
:
Das Pretzelwagon
As some of you have already guessed from my constant whining about my lack of boost, I will be buying a hiboost kit in about a month or so. I'm currently tying to figure out what to buy, aside from the kit, and what it's going to cost me.

My current dilemma is what clutch to buy. Right now I'm stuck between the ACT Street Clutch and the Clutchmaster Stage II. I plan on boosting 6-8 psi, and am looking for something that is smooth enough for daily driving. Basically, I would like something that is as close to stock as I can get.

Also--and here is where I show my noobishness--will a new pressure plate always be added with the package? Isn't it kinda needed in order to handle more power anyway?

Thanks in advance.

I have an ACT and it feels no different than stock. I've been running 10 psi. So it will hold you for 6-8 no problem.

You will buy a kit that has the pressure plate, clutch, and bearings. In reality, I think the pressure plate is the only thing "special" as I know of some people using their stock disc with the ACT PP and having good luck as well (the two clutches look no different).

Enjoy!

They do come with pressure plates, hence the price!
This is from Dave at SPEC clutches in regards to a boosted Protege5: I recommend the SZS943H. It will drive more like the stage2 (has great dailystreet drivability), but have a capacity in the mid 500's.

ddogg777 said:
This is from Dave at SPEC clutches in regards to a boosted Protege5: I recommend the SZS943H. It will drive more like the stage2 (has great dailystreet drivability), but have a capacity in the mid 500's.
When I talked to them a while ago before I got my clutch, they told me to stick with the stage II because the stage III would be more harsh on the tranny. So I got the stage II and it's pretty good. I did slip it at the track when I rode it a little to reduce wheel spin. I am probably putting over it's limits of 309 ft-lbs of torque at the crank.

The SZS943H is new, they probably didn't have it when you talked to them. David N. told me it's not even on the site yet.

I would recommend going with the Spec.Spec has great customer service and there products are top notch(not saying ACT isn't).
If you are looking at 6-8psi the Stage 1 will hold(I have pushed my stage 1 as high as 14psi).But I would recommend planning for the future and going with something alittle stronger,ie stage 2 and up.

MAMotorsports said:
I would recommend going with the Spec.Spec has great customer service and there products are top notch(not saying ACT isn't).
If you are looking at 6-8psi the Stage 1 will hold(I have pushed my stage 1 as high as 14psi).But I would recommend planning for the future and going with something alittle stronger,ie stage 2 and up.
Well, to be honest, I don't plan on going any higher than 9-10psi, and that is only occasionally. Would a Clutchmaster Stage 1 be more what I'm looking for? I would like to keep the stress on the tranny as low as possible.

Pretzellogic said:
Well, to be honest, I don't plan on going any higher than 9-10psi, and that is only occasionally. Would a Clutchmaster Stage 1 be more what I'm looking for? I would like to keep the stress on the tranny as low as possible.
I would go with the stage 2.Reason being is we all never PLAN to go more than 6-8psi.Then 10,11,12,etc start's to look good. :) Plan for the future.Spend the little extra now instead of buying a whole new clutch.

ddogg777 said:
Yeah, when I spoke with them today, they told me that it is a little more aggressive at grabbing, but is smooth enough for the street.

Now fellow forum members, I need your help!! Probably later this week, or early next week, I will be dropping my car off to get my transaxle swapped out for a low milage one. I don't have anywhere to do the work myself anymore, or the time to wait on help that may or may not come, and have no choice but to pay a shop. :( I will need to go ahead and replace my clutch, and what I need from you is any help or links to any deals you have seen on the Spec Clutch Kits. Stage III is looking good to me, but I need to know if anyone has had any experience with it. I would sit here and seach myself, but I'm on slow-ass GPRS using my mobile phone as my modem now, and it would take all damn day. I need any leads you have as early as tomorrow morning. Thanks for your help if you can!!!

Last edited:
i went with act street clutch from mazda3online.com way better then the stock one but still felt like stock but a lil stiffer my calf still got a work out though! yeah pressure plate and the bareing came with all of it

Stage IIR from RR-racing is prefect for what you want. It feels like stock...but does a great job at catching on.

I have it...but I am now in need of something better....

Linuxracrson, Beau is a Spec dealer so you could probably get the best price on a new one from him.

The thing is I have had the ACT clutch in since Feb 2002 years, and am going with that holds more, and is the SPEC brand. Thanks for the suggestion though. DDog, yeah, I know! I have spoken with him in the past, but that boi is way busy. I can't reach him. (sad2)

He's online now. I just PM'd him this thread. Here are my options:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" bgColor=#333333><TBODY><TR><TD class=dealerCell colSpan=2>Year Span</TD><TD class=dealerCell>Engine</TD><TD class=dealerCell>Includes</TD><TD class=dealerCell noWrap>Stage 1</TD><TD class=dealerCell noWrap>Stage 2</TD><TD class=dealerCell noWrap>Stage 3</TD><TD class=dealerCell noWrap>Stage 4</TD><TD class=dealerCell noWrap>Stage 5</TD><TD class=dealerCell noWrap>None</TD><TD class=dealerCell noWrap>Steel</TD><TD class=dealerCell noWrap>Aluminum</TD><TD class=dealerCell noWrap>None</TD></TR><TR><TD class=reg noWrap>2001</TD><TD class=reg noWrap>2003</TD><TD class=reg>2.0L</TD><TD class=reg noWrap></TD><TD class=reg>SZ941</TD><TD class=reg>SZ942</TD><TD class=reg>SZ943</TD><TD class=reg>SZ944</TD><TD class=reg>SZ945</TD><TD class=reg> </TD><TD class=reg>n/a</TD><TD class=reg>SZ27A</TD><TD class=reg> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=reg align=right colSpan=4>Torque Capacity:</TD><TD class=reg>260</TD><TD class=reg>309</TD><TD class=reg>349</TD><TD class=reg>349</TD><TD class=reg>580</TD><TD class=reg> </TD><TD class=reg> </TD><TD class=reg> </TD><TD class=reg> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=reg align=right colSpan=4>Pricing:</TD><TD class=reg>$279</TD><TD class=reg>$329</TD><TD class=reg>$369</TD><TD class=reg>$369</TD><TD class=reg>$439</TD><TD class=reg> </TD><TD class=reg>$n/a</TD><TD class=reg>$399</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I am leaning towards the Stage 3, but want to know if it will kill my transaxle!

Get the SZ943H, Dave at Spec said that it drives like the stage 2 but can hold monster torque. It isn't on the site because it is a newer product. I think it might be pricey, though.

ddogg777 said:
Get the SZ943H, Dave at Spec said that it drives like the stage 2 but can hold monster torque. It isn't on the site because it is a newer product. I think it might be pricey, though.
Ok,

Here is the lowdown. This model is a newer hybrid model that has been out for only about a month. The cost is $389 retail for the kit. It holds the same torque as the Stage 3, but drives like a Stage 2!!!!!! (eekdance)

Anyone have any deals on this? *cough* Beau *cough* MPNick*cough*

LinuxRacr said:
Ok,

Here is the lowdown. This model is a newer hybrid model that has been out for only about a month. The cost is $389 retail for the kit. It holds the same torque as the Stage 3, but drives like a Stage 2!!!!!! (eekdance)

Anyone have any deals on this? *cough* Beau *cough* MPNick*cough*

The Hybrid has been out for quite sometime.We use alot of them in the mustangs.Spec just released a newer material in there hybrid series that's alittle easier on the flywheel.
I am a Spec dealer and have a few instock.

Latest posts

Back