5th to reverse

JMS'sMSP

Contributor
:
2005 RX8
I seem to remember when I first had my MSP and when I had my MP3 that I could not go from 5th gear straight into reverse.

Not that I would try it but I am able to do it in my car and am wondering if it is a sign of a tranny starting to have issues...

Mine does it too. Haven't had any problems for 10,000 miles afterwards. I'm just extra careful downshifting.

JMS'sMSP said:
I seem to remember when I first had my MSP and when I had my MP3 that I could not go from 5th gear straight into reverse.

Not that I would try it but I am able to do it in my car and am wondering if it is a sign of a tranny starting to have issues...
Its called a lockout. Some trannies have it, other don't. There's nothing wrong with the car.

WELL i fockin hate not havin it....if i downshift to fast from 5th to 4th the rear gear gate grabs the stick and i grind......never had that issue before in any other car i have driven

N1XRR said:
Its called a lockout. Some trannies have it, other don't. There's nothing wrong with the car.
Doesnt our car have it? I remember it but now it is gone.

AutoBox said:
WELL i fockin hate not havin it....if i downshift to fast from 5th to 4th the rear gear gate grabs the stick and i grind......never had that issue before in any other car i have driven
It all depends on how you hold the shifter, but the Kartboy bushings & Redline tranny fluid help out a lot.

not me i have the bushings and mt-90......still grind if im not careful....but on a happy note i dont have the dreaded 1st-2nd gear grind :)

RenzoMSP said:
Sometimes i try to put it in reverse and it wont go in. I have to then slam it in.
don't do that you can hurt the syncro's. shift up to first then go to reverse..

RenzoMSP said:
Sometimes i try to put it in reverse and it wont go in. I have to then slam it in.
(werd) cept I dont slam mine in...In fact, simply shifting to first doesnt help either...I actually have to move the car a little bit in first, then stop and go back to reverse...PITA(rant)

Back