Replacement programmable keyfob for $30?

rookie

I flew recently and browsed on of those Skymall catalogs. This is both cool and freaky but if it works, it sure beats the dealer price for the keyfob per what I know:

http://skymall.com/webapp/skystore?process=prodDisplay&action=&pid=102104467&catId=98319921

The Car Alarm Remote Duplicator.
Imagine the jam you'd be in if your car alarm remote were broken or lost. We toss them around and after awhile microchips get jarred loose, key ring holders break or they just get lost. The question is do you have a replacement ready so that you can still get into your car? You'll pay over $100 for a spare at the dealer. Worse yet you have an after market alarm and you either don't know who made it or they aren't in business any longer. No problem. The Autobahn is compatible with any system. Just place your existing remote next to the Autobahn remote, press the alarm keys and match the frequencies. Presto! You have a new remote with all the same functions.

Being a bit of an electronic nOOb it sounds like a good idea.

But...

Most good alarm systems will have anti code grabbing technology, so if this $30 device can pickup that disarm frequency that easily, then it makes an alarm system useless in the hands of a thief.

Am I making any sense?

Back