Where to mount an amp

3junky

:
'04 Mazda3 Hatch
I have 1 5 channel amp, 40x4, 120x1 RMS. Here are my options:

Under either driver or passenger seat.
Back of the 40% side of the rear seat.
Under the cargo cover. (This option would require installing a computer fan or other air-circulating device to prevent heat related protect mode cutoff)

I really want to mount it under the seats. Has anybody had success with this? Would it require removing the seat. I do not want to have to mess with the airbag weight sensor at all for fear of tripping the bag (that would suck!)

Also, LOC converters should go right at the back of the headunit or next to the amp?

While we are at it.. I want to mount a 6 disc MP3 changer in the glove box. Is there any way to run this without having to use FM (bad quality). Maybe some sort way to wire it to the amp with RCA splitter and a switch for input?

Kinda slow tonight, anybody care to weigh in?

whens the last time you moved the passenger seat far front or extreme rear....once you do that you will understand where the amp can be put withought being kicked...

Last edited:
I mounted both of mine on the back of the rear seat , I am going to be getting some custom covering on it to look good.

I've got a sedan and I'm going to mount an amp shelf hanging under the rear package shelf.

Last edited:
also to take into consideration...how much space is behing the glove box on the 3?

the easiest way in my opinion , would be to build an amp rack under the rear deck, i removed my stock amp and sub and built an amp rack the length of the entire rear deck. (kicker 800 and kicker 600)..just make sure depending on the weight of the amps,that you use strong material to support the weight. looks clean, easily reached, and out of the way.

04mazda3s said:
I mounted both of mine on the back of the rear seat , I am going to be getting some custom covering on it to look good.

hey, I am new to this forum. First post actually. I had a 96 civic ex, now going ot the 3....

How did you mount under the seats? Did you raise it a bit to leave room for the vent? What about when the vents are set to hot? Do you think it will cause a problem?

Can you let us know how it has been so far?

thanks,
Krs

OK so I did my install this past weekend, so I'm a really happy camper now! Anyways, I ended up mounting the amp under the passenger seat, works like a charm. You know the vertical rails that are used for decks? I got one of those from Home Depot for about 90 cents and had them cut 2 12" lengths. Stapled some velcro to the bottom of those and screwed the amp into them. They are probably about 1.5x1.5 inches or so. So the amp straddles the vent and clears the seat by about 1/2 inch. I ran the wires from the HU down the side of the middle console and under the carpet. I will post pics when I get them off my camera. Now I am just patiently waiting for the dash kit!!

3junky said:
OK so I did my install this past weekend, so I'm a really happy camper now! Anyways, I ended up mounting the amp under the passenger seat, works like a charm. You know the vertical rails that are used for decks? I got one of those from Home Depot for about 90 cents and had them cut 2 12" lengths. Stapled some velcro to the bottom of those and screwed the amp into them. They are probably about 1.5x1.5 inches or so. So the amp straddles the vent and clears the seat by about 1/2 inch. I ran the wires from the HU down the side of the middle console and under the carpet. I will post pics when I get them off my camera. Now I am just patiently waiting for the dash kit!!

That's awesome.... I can't wait to do it now. Were you able to find someplace to run the powercable without drilling in the firewall? I was able to do it in my old civic, so I was hoping to do the same but I didn't notice anything yesterday. I did notice the big fuses in the box under the hood (40,80) has anyone used that place to run a power cable?

Krs

krstofer said:
That's awesome.... I can't wait to do it now. Were you able to find someplace to run the powercable without drilling in the firewall? I was able to do it in my old civic, so I was hoping to do the same but I didn't notice anything yesterday. I did notice the big fuses in the box under the hood (40,80) has anyone used that place to run a power cable?

Krs

I ran mine with the huge bundle that goes behind the glovebox. There is a thick peice of fire shielding material that is cut in a circle, if you pull that back you will see the spot. I took a steak knife to it and poked a hole in the rubber big enough to fit the wire. Worked out nice because the amp is under the passenger seat, and there is a nice spot to run the ground on the pillar under the right interior quarter panel. I will post pics as soon as I get around to downloading them from the camera.

I promise I have pics! Just lost the cable that goes from the camera to the computer. But I bought a card reader the other day and should have time to get it going this weekend. I will post as soon as I can..

Back