Ever ship your car?

FoRNiK8ToR

:
2002 ES
I'm moving cross country, and I don't really wanna have to drive my car and put 3000 miles on it... So I was just curious if anyone here has ever shipped their car and their experience? Are they gonna fux0r my car up? Is it just worth driving it out there myself?

Thanks
G

if u use allied movers they can put ur car on the moving truck with the rest of your s***, and if ur gonna be driving a uhaul moving some of your stuff urself just rent a single car trailer and hit the road.

just drive it. cars are meant to be driven. smells like a road trip if you ask me ;)

protejay5 said:
just drive it. cars are meant to be driven. smells like a road trip if you ask me ;)
we did it because we didnt want to put 3700 miles on our all original 1969 Z28.

protejay5 said:

yea, I was kinda hoping to avoid having to take a week long trip and putting that many miles on my car, but it seems like it might be the best option... seems the cheapest place to ship it is about $1045 and they say it takes them about 10 days to get it out there... those bastards...

I'm renting a car this weekend to avoid putting ~1000 miles (round trip) on my MP3. For $100, it saves wear on my high performance tires and protects my car from road hazards and accidents. However, 3,000 miles one way is a helluva lot of driving. I drove over 1k miles last summer from Arizona to Texas and it took a lot out of me... if it had been that same trip x3, I would have needed a few days in between to recover. Not to mention the interior of my Golf got all fubar from all the stuff that got shoved into it... headliner got messed up, fold down seats had excessive wear, etc. It wasn't a fun trip at all ... I couldn't even see out my rear view mirror!

If you've got the cash, I vote you travel in style and let somebody else do the work. If you do the road trip route, you will have to not only take off the driving time, but also plan for any contingencies... if you get a flat, lose a timing belt, have an accident, get stuck in a construction zone, etc. etc. And after the 3rd or 4th day eating at restaraunts and fast food, filling up your tank, staying in hotels, etc. ... just some points to consider. Hope you have a good trip, tho, and your car and stuff gets across the country safely and uneventfully.

another thought: you could look into just selling your car and picking up a new one in your new town. that would be my pick, as I'm always up for changing my ride.

most dealers can ship a car anywhere within the US for ~$500 maybe give your mazda dealer a call. (I'm thinking they'd shoot you down but it'd be worth 10 minutes of your time if it worked out...) gl

Everytime I've seen it done something on the car gets messed up. My wife did it when she moved from Chicago to L.A. before we meet and her car had lots of chips in the paint on both bumpers and a few dings. Moving company paid for it but it shouldn't happen in the first place. Personally I would just drive it. If you are a glutton for punishment you can do it in 3-4 days but it requires 10-12 hours of driving a day. I've done the trip from L.A. to Denver in 11 hours but it was really brutal on my back at the end.(doh)

Just got my car shipped from FL to AZ...when I got it-the stereo was jacked from it and NO other problems! Cost me 750! I would rather have flown and drove it but couldn't take short notice leave cause of work(military)

FoRNiK8ToR,
My dad drives cross country and I can check if he can hook you up with someone reputable. He is on his way from Western Canada to Florida with a wide load right now, I will have to wait till he gets back in the states to call him. I may be able to call tonight. Message me with some details as to when and where it is coming from and going to if you would like me to look into this for you. I wouldn't want to drive it that far either, it isn't like it is a new Mazda that parts are readily available.

My g/f's aunt and uncle shipped their Subaru Forester from coast to coast when they moved to Cali. When it arrived it had a broken windshield and a couple of dings. I can't remember the name of the company they used.

An alternative is to rent a UHaul with a flatbed trailer (Ryder/Penski don't have the trailers as far as I know). If you have the time, it works out to be cheaper than shipping it (unless you need to stay in 5 star hotels and eat at black tie restaurants while you're on the road). My sister's friend did that with her Mustang. My sister flew down to Texas and they drove back to Mass. together. I personally have had bad luck with UHaul though...often times their trucks break down or overheat.

yea, I'm kind of worried about getting any dings on my car (although that would happen even if i drove it out there myself). but broken windshield and stolen stereo?! how do you break a windshield when the car is on a trailer? it seems every shipping place has full insurance on the car, but still... i dont really wanna deal with the hassle of having them replace my windshield...

Back