Dealer won't fix brake rotor hub rust

goonsquad

:
3.5 Titanium MSP
I just got back from the dealer. It took them about 1.5 hours to put on the series E sway bar bushings and flash my ECU. My third complaint was the rust on the rear brake rotor hubs. The guy was just telling me that the rust is normal and there's nothing they could do about it. I told him the rust should be covered under warranty and he said that if he replaced them the rust would just come back. I didn't push him as hard as I normally would because I was nervous about:

1) I had removed my boost controller which required me to replace the wastegate vaccuum hose
2) I had removed the Joe P FPR requiring me to put an inline connector on that vaccuum line and plug the hole in the intake
3) I have a boost guage.

The TSB listed in the sticky guide doesn't mention the MSP. What can I tell the service manager that will make him fix the rust. Also, just a funny thing I noticed: only my rear wheels have rust on the brake rotor hubs.

Call Mazda North America. They will explain to the Dealer the point of TSBs.

Britt

The TSB doesn't mention the MSP or '03 proteges at all. Having such a TSB would really make things easier. I gotta get this done soon. I'm at 11,500 miles!!

Jack your car up, pull off the wheels, grab some sand paper and hi-temp aluminum paint from Duplicolor and paint them yourself.

**** the dealers! Mine have been rust free ever since I did them myself.

my dealer said the same...i just said to paint the damn rotors and make urself some money...if it comes back dont worry......funny though.....it hasnt come back since january when it was repainted :)

My slackass deler just painted over the rust. So it came back.

*shakes fist at dealer*

Yea mine too just painted over rust. Because the dealers are frickin stupid. STUPID..........

pro5man said:
My slackass deler just painted over the rust. So it came back.

*shakes fist at dealer*
This is what I'm worried about...******* dealers. I should just do it myself but then I would have to buy a jack and jack stands which I don't own. I appreciate all the advice on how to take care of the problem myself but I will try to first exhaust any easier (and more importantly free) alternatives first.

K-S-W said:
Yea mine too just painted over rust. Because the dealers are frickin stupid. STUPID..........
It's true and there's a feeling of helplessness trying to get them to do it right. I want to ask them to make sure they sand off the rust first but I know if I do so I will receive even worse service. I wish I owned a lexus. They get great service.

goonsquad, come over to Long Valley sometime we'll jack 'em up, sand 'em down, and paint 'em. I'm just going to use that 3M rust remover wheel and some paint and have at it later in the summer. First, though, I'm heading to the dealer to complain about rotor warpage and try to get NEW rotors out of the deal (they spun 'em at 4800 miles and the warpage is ba-ack). If I get new rotors, well, you can borrow my floor jack and jackstands...

-L

ping said:
goonsquad, come over to Long Valley sometime we'll jack 'em up, sand 'em down, and paint 'em. I'm just going to use that 3M rust remover wheel and some paint and have at it later in the summer. First, though, I'm heading to the dealer to complain about rotor warpage and try to get NEW rotors out of the deal (they spun 'em at 4800 miles and the warpage is ba-ack). If I get new rotors, well, you can borrow my floor jack and jackstands...

-L
Thanks L. Let me know when you plan on repairing your hubs.

Jeff

The thing is, it will come back. I was going to have the body shop fix them but they told service it would just came back, so they replaced all 4 with new ones.

did it myself, not that hard at all, and i think would be better then dealer doing it anyway, and save time. 6 month and no hint of rust coming back.

BinaryRotary said:
The thing is, it will come back. I was going to have the body shop fix them but they told service it would just came back, so they replaced all 4 with new ones.
I wish my dealer would do that for me. However, I would think that if they removed all the rust and painted with rust-proof paint that the rust would not come back. The key would be to remove all rust and make sure that moisture does not get through to the metal again.

DAWIV said:
Jack your car up, pull off the wheels, grab some sand paper and hi-temp aluminum paint from Duplicolor and paint them yourself.

**** the dealers! Mine have been rust free ever since I did them myself.
(mswerd)

I had mine replaced (under warranty) a month ago or so, and the rust is starting to come back. So the dealer ordered me a new set of zinc-plated rotors. He says that will DEFINITLEY solve the problem. I told them I didn't mean to be a pain in the ass about it, and that if I had hubcaps I wouldn't care at all. He said "Hey, man, you paid alot of money for this car..we want to get it right!" I must have the only cool dealer around. I'll let you know when I get them put on.

did they do your re-flash with all those mods you have listed?!?!?!?! WTF, all i have is an intake and they denied me my flash! said the intake was what was giving me the hesitation, even though i have had it since much before the intake.

If you don't want the rust to come back MAKE SURE you remove all of the rust. Then after removing all of the rust clean them off with rubbing alcohol (residual rust dust painted over will rust from the inside). Next, paint sticks best to primer, and primer sticks best to metal (why do you think primer exists?), so primer them before you paint with the correct primer. Next spray a couple of coats of high-temp paint and you're done. They will never rust again. Do everything right the first time or do it wrong many times, it's up to you.

sickspeed94 said:
did they do your re-flash with all those mods you have listed?!?!?!?! WTF, all i have is an intake and they denied me my flash! said the intake was what was giving me the hesitation, even though i have had it since much before the intake.
I removed everything. I knew they would give me a hard time if I didn't. I still haven't put the boost controller back on though. I'm figuring I should install my copper plugs before doing so...and shoulda done it before.

Back