My handbrake light just keeps lighting up

lorden

Hey, I don't do much posting in these forums, just a lot of reading, but lately i have been having a problem with my MP5 and figured i'll give a shout before i take it to the dealer, my car is supported by ABS brakes so you brake suddenly and you feel a discomfort on your right foot, well that's no more on my car, about 2 weeks ago, suddenly if i slammed on the brakes the "!" light would go on saying my handbrake was up, it's happened before but that was because i didn't put the handbrake all the way down, but now it was, so i go on the freeway the light goes out and noticed that everytime i slammed on the brakes my handbrake light would go on and my abs would never kick in.... now 2 weeks have passed and it's gotten worse, if i jsut touch the brakes the handbrake light will go on and stay on for a long time, i'm sure the warranty will cover this but i want to know if anyone else has had this problem before with there P5 ?

Firstly, your ABS doesn't just 'kick in' when you slam on the brakes. It is active all the time and only there to prevent wheel lockup.

Secondly, the brake light may be coming on because the fluid is a little low in the brake master cylinder. My guess is the fluid is low because you are dogging the brakes and the pads are worn. When the pads are worn the caliper pistons are extended. The fluid that was once in the master cylinder is not taking the place of the extended brake caliper pistons.

In summary, go get your brakes checked.

Like rod said....its probably just the fluid level in your resivior...check it...and if its low, add the proper fluid to the right level....if that fixes it...your all done....if not....get to a dealer soon....before you find yourself needing to stop and your peddle goes to the floor and you wrap you, and whom ever is with you around a pole or worse yet...soemeone else.

I had similar experience with my previous car, a suzuki, they just told me that the brakes need to be replaced. It actually went away after that, but judging from what rod and sir nuke are saying, I have been Jipped!!! (argh)

Back