Dyno Day

freek... chill, we read your posts! Yes, the wheels are probably part of that drivetrain loss. That still doesn't mean that there's a reason to doubt that 140hp claim at the crank made by Mazda or to expect them to pay for mods on everyone's car to bring them up to 140hp at the wheels! BTW, no one has proven they can get the 140hp at the wheels with mods yet! If you're going to ask them to pay for mods to get closer to the 140hp, which the letter writer seems to think is at the wheels, you shouldn't be settling for just 120hp at the wheels you should be demainding them paying for mods to get to the 140hp. Maybe that's why you mention the turbo?

Being the "Creator" of this thread, I can't help but be responsible for all the BS and flaming going on here. Obviously this has been blown completely out of proportion! I am simply tinkering with the idea that the MP3 engine has been over-rated by Mazda. Apparently some people have their numbers crossed... Mazda claims and lists the 2.0L having 140HP. Now this, we know, is at crank. The car, pre-production was listed at 150HP @crank... back when it was known as the MPS Protege. The only difference between that and production, header design and an intake, both scratched because of noise restrictions and emissions (This info, by the way, from the Racing Beat web site). Now what I am arguing is that stock, given the limited amount of people who have dyno tested their cars, is about 108-109 HP at the wheels. That is about a 22% loss from crank power. I don't care what some of you say, I have talked to people who have been around cars all their lives, and for a FWD car, that is preposterous! Forget about what my dyno results were... my investigation is focused on stock power. Mazda kicks ass for having the balls to put out the MP3 into a Honda/Acura saturated market. I wouldn't change my decision to by the MP3 for nothing! What I propose is that between pre-production and production, Mazda may have miscalculated the power output of the MP3 a little, about 10-15HP, and if so, this could be grounds for compensation due to misrepresentation of product/false advertisement. Again, if I'm wrong, so be it! But if I'm right, well... enough said. Now please people let this dog lay! Until someone else has their car (stock) dynoed, or until a reputable magazine, like SCC, post some real numbers, all this bickering and arguing, and as of recently name calling and whinning, needs to stop. Enough already!!!

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Coolhand ]

sorry guys ill chill. but i should find out next month. my car club is trying to setup a dyno day. my car is completely stock. except for the window tint and that only adds RICE horse

HAS ANYONE JUST TRIED TO CALL MAZDA N.A AND JUST ASK THEM....JUST LIE ABOUT HAVING THE DYNO DONE TO THE STOCK VEHICLE...SAY IT HAS BEEN DONE...AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY..I'LLBE THA ONE DOING THAT SINCE I AM AT WORK TODAY...GET BACK TO EVERYONE SOON...

actaully im going to call Racing Beat and ask if they did dynos, they would have had to, to figure out the power. also just wondering how does Mazda know that its 140 horse. i know they put stock engines on engine dynos when they are made. but how do they know the ECU and exhaust got 10 horse out of the car with out doing dynos.

Back