Dyno Day

Coolhand

:
2001 Mazda MP3 #140
Well tomorrow is the big day... I'm getting my baby dynoed!!! Now we'll see whether my mods have been worth it or not! The sad part is that I'm not actually going to be there to see it done, have to go to a training class for work, so my bud is taking it down for me. I told him not to call me with the results unless it registers at least 140hp. So, what does everyone think? Look at the list of mods, and take a guess at what it will be at. Closest guess gets to see my tail lights in the distance when I smoke ya! J/K :p All kidding aside, I'm hoping to be in the 130-140 range... possible? (remember, we are talking at the wheels)
Will post results and scan tomorrow!

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: Coolhand ]

I doubt you hit 140. I am gonna say 129-132 whp. I hope you do hit 140 though cause that would mean I will have 150-160 :)

Good Luck!!! I wish you the best. I think between 130 to 135 I hope you get 140 thought.

Well hell, the red calipers are good for about 20hp :) hehe
If I had to guess I would say 130whp and 135ft.lb. of torque.

Hmmm...dyno guessing game...this should be very interesting...I'm going to say...

133 whp

139 tq

Can't wait to find out! :D

:( Well, sorry to dissapoint all, but she wound up topping out at a whopping 120.9 max HP and 118.8 max Torque. I'm in the process of scanning the sheets now, and will have up later today/tonight.
This brings to mind an interesting question... Did Mazda pull the dame scheme with the MP3/Pro 5 vehicle that they did with the Miata by claiming higher HP numbers than actual? Since Sports Compact Car debunked Mazda's Miata power claim, and they have recently acquired a MP3 test car, I plan on e-mailing them in regards to this. Don't get me wrong on this... I love my car, but if Mazda claims an output of 140 at crank, and MP3Ben's Dyno yeilded 114.8 MAX HP with a CAI. Based on a stock P5 run (102 Max HP), we probably have a 110 Max HP at the wheels stock. That is about a 22% loss from 140. Isn't that a bit much? Should the loss be that much? I've been told that on avrage a car losses about 12% of it's power due to drivetrain... another 10% seems a hell of a lot to lose. Anyhow, I'm going to contact SCC and see what they think. I'm thinking that Mazda may have "inflated" their HP numbers yet again and something should be done about it.

So the cams only added 6 whp? That is ******* bad. Damnit, they should have added at least 10 or more. ****!

Hey no s***. Man my car feels totally different since I put my cams and CAI in. It feels a whole lot more than 6 hp of a gain. Somethings got to be wrong here. Not saying the chart is lying. Hmmm.

Originally posted by NC_MP3:
<STRONG>So the cams only added 6 whp? That is ******* bad. Damnit, they should have added at least 10 or more. ****!</STRONG>
I seem to remember Apexistud telling you this more than a month ago. Uhhhmmm.....there should really be no surprise there.

Well, good luck with the future mods, but maybe this puts into perspective all these overly optimistic claims that are running all over this board about hp gains. Maybe, some fuel tuning with an SAFC will help dial in those cams a little better, but don't expect drastic changes. Either way, don't give up, there is much power to be extracted even if it means forced induction!! :cool:

hey suby what happened to your car dude? saw pics of it on apexis little photo thing...i was really sad to see that too, cause your car was really bad ass. will you be getting another car? if so, what? again, my condolences (sp?)...i dont know what i would do if that happened to me.

Wow...I was just going to update my post for a new estimate...I was going to say in the 120's after some thinking...I expected more...maybe there is some extra power to be had if the car was moving...did you have fans setup?

SCC called on Nissan about the se-r vspec...seeing a large difference in the official HP claim and what SCC actualy got...

Well the "real deal" isn't always that great...at least we are learning what works and what doesn't on the MP3...whats that s woosh woosh sound I here....hmmm TURBO!!! :cool:

just for comparision whats the wheel hp of a si civic? and other competion?

NC your on the money, according to SCC Jan 2002.... The 2002 Si has a " claimed " 160hp at 6500 rpm's and 132lb's at the wheel at 5000rpm. They had the car at 130mph on the autobahn. I would believe it with the I-Vtec. Coolhand, I read in a mag, heard from someone, or saw in the posts that the Cat steals 15-20 HP. I dont know if there is truth to that or if its acurate. It maybe just something to look in to or it may help.

<STRONG>Hey suby, I seem to remember you wrecking your car so shut the hell up and get a new one.</STRONG>

Someone's getting a little testy already. Bro have a heart, he didn't wreck the car anyway. A late model Acura decided to give the Suby a face lift last weekend. The other driver was at fault. And yes, I remember saying not to expect a gang of horsepower from the cams as well. But, no one wanted to hear it at that time.... hehe :rolleyes:

Maybe I was right in thinking that the "timing issue" may need to be addressed before the cams can run optimal numbers. I'm sure he can get better numbers. Either that or the cat in the exhaust manifold is more restricting than had expected. Either way goodluck bro. I feel your pain after spending some loot only to be let down by the results.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: APEXistud ]

Originally posted by kep0:
<STRONG>hey suby what happened to your car dude? saw pics of it on apexis little photo thing...i was really sad to see that too, cause your car was really bad ass. will you be getting another car? if so, what? again, my condolences (sp?)...i dont know what i would do if that happened to me. </STRONG>
Thanks man, I was seriously bummed all week long. Well, an RSX Type S decided to drive around at 35 mph on a dark street without his lights on and gave my WRX a face lift while I was coming out of a parking spot. He was completely 100% at fault. I am not getting a new car, although it looks bad, no frame damage and the engine is untouched. She is already being worked on as we speak and she will be back with new headlights and a Blitz LM FMIC. Thank god there will be no bondo, the car is getting all new OEM subaru fenders and the hood was completely untouched.

<STRONG>Hey suby, I seem to remember you wrecking your car so shut the hell up and get a new one.</STRONG>
Wow, more 12 year old responses from the MP3 genius on the board. Anyway, what does me wrecking ( which isn't even the case) my car have anything to do with you being wrong about expected gains?? Grow up man and learn to admit when you are wrong. We all are sometimes!!

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: subywan-kenobi ]

Back