questions on 1st gen mod (neighbors car)

Leppy

:
1990 300ZX Twin Turbo 5-speed
Hey, I need help on something.

before you shoot me, I've looked around and have done a site search, so take the flames elsewhere please.

I've got a neighbor with a 1st gen protege seen below:

Protege%20007.jpg

He's an older guy, but very experienced in cars. He's been mainly working with older engines,though (like in his 74? Nova). He's recently found some time and effort to want to play and mod his 1st gen. I know if I help him out, he'll definitely help me out with general maintenance.

So far, he's looking for an intake, possibly exhaust (he loves my Mspeed exhaust), suspension mods (performance, not 'lowered'), change headlight and taillight assemblies, and do some custom body work.

does anyone out there know of anywhere that has said parts? And does anyone know if the 15's on my 03 protege will fit his? (it's the same 4 bolt pattern, i'm thinking they will)

any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

~Leppy

:)

Sorry, kinda forgot to mention some more valuable information. He's got a SOHC 1.6 auto...

he's not looking to make it fast, just better overall.

He has a 1.8 SOHC. They didn't make 1.6s in Proteges. With an SOHC and auto, he might as well give up trying to make power, and focus on handling. Lowering a car isn't just for looks. It lowers the centre of gravity, improving handling, response, cornering and braking. Since lowering springs always have higher spring rates, it also helps the car keep the tires on the road, especially with some good dampers. That, which some larger anti-roll bars, some 15s with good tires, and the car will be a handling machine.

If he wants more power, tell him to spend $400 and get a BP DOHC engine, tranny and computer and swap it in. It'll be cheaper than exhaust and intake, and it's a much better base for making power.....

well, he's not looking for a project car, he's just looking to make what he has nicer. he's doesn't want fast, he wants custom and nice. (as well as nice running)

And not to sound mean or anything, but I know what lowering does. I meant he doesn't want to just cut the springs and slam it, he just wants a better riding and running car.

so, know any good parts places for that?

PS: thanx for the 1.6/1.8 info, I'll have to make sure, but I think you're right.

Back