got a question for the f/i guys

dan00k

:
2001 mp3
i own an mp3..not looking to turbo it right now but the question i have is f/i related..my friend has an srt-4...bone stock except an aem sri. it has been running just fine since he got the car..installed the sri and still ran good...the last couple of days we have had a problem w/it overboosting. we just took it for a test drive and well...he can get on it in all gears and not spike above 15psi but when he is just cruising in 5th and floors it it will either read like 13psi and you can hear the wastegate open up or it will overboost and the boost guage shows up to 20psi. any help would be appreciated..thanx
daniel

im not sure..its really weird but we will check it out even more tomorrow cause one of our friends is gonna come over and we are gonna put the stock air box back on and see whuts up and see if anything happens..if it still does it then we are gonna start looking for leaks somewhere and then also make sure that the wastegate isnt bent down and making it mess up...not sure whut im sayin really i just read some earlier on the srt forum and they arent pullin through much so i thought id try on here since i know you guys are good on here and i know that some guys on here are srt&msp owners so...any info is good tho cause we will check it out tomorrow for sure any and every possibility. thanx

i really really doubt the air box wqill have anything to do with it..Check the vacuum connections with the wastegate and the wastegate itself....

something to do with the wastegate... check vac sources to it and the wg itself. i think the ecu also controls boost on that car (or a solenoid or something electronic) so that could be screwy too, make sure the connection going to whatever is controlling the boost is good

i think this is a problem with the SRT4s, though someone that frequents that forum might know better than myself. i know of two bone STOCK SRT4s in my area that boost spike 17psi-20psi ALL THE TIME. unfortunately for them, they are both morons and actually LIKE that s***.

i would remove the intake and take it to the dealer, or see if there is some TSB about that.

as for not taking it to the dealer, it could be what everyone has said - wastegate. then again he might be able to get it fixed for free at the dealer.

yep tell him to upgrade his wastegate...or do the spring mod.
im sure if hes into the srt boards he'll know about them both.

DiscreetSpeed said:
yep tell him to upgrade his wastegate...or do the spring mod.
im sure if hes into the srt boards he'll know about them both.
Isn't the spring mod so you can boost more?

well thanx for the info guys..i looked yesterday on the srt forums and well..found a couple of possibilities but we are gonna go check it out now and see whuts up...he has only had the car like 3 weeks now i think so he isnt really into the reading up on the forums stuff like i am...ive been diong it here for just over 2 years now..but thanx for all the info and we will see whuts wrong i guess

well put the stock air box back on and no problems...its weird...not sure if the hose right at the turbo was loose or not so i dunno...we might try it w/the aem again and see whuts going on...but thanx again for the info guys

Back