Is there a way... (re: roof rack)

ph0enixrising

:
2002.5 Mazda Protege5
to take off the roof rack completely, and without hassle? I searched the threads and came across a guy who took his off, but he had to take off his roof liner. Way too much work for me, and I'm sure that would cost a pretty penny at the dealer. Is there an easier way than that, because I don't really like the rack, nor do I use it, but it still looks better than having just the tracks there. So, any easier way to get rid of them? And if there is, how much do you think it would cost to get them taken off by the dealer. (I'm not exacly a mechanic here, if you can tell) Thanks.

You should have got the covers for the holes when you bought the car. Mine were in a clear plastic bag laying in the back.

10 minute job to remove it and snap in the covers - Looks pretty good too. Permanently filling in the grooves in the roof which support the rack and repainting the roof would be pretty $$$

I'd try it with just the covers first, and see what you think.

Don

Yes I have the covers, and it looks quite stupid with the big plastic bulges on either side of the roof. I was wondering if there was an easy way to remove those tracks too.

the thread you saw where the guy took out the head liner.....THAT is the right way to do the job, IF you want to completely remove the racks.....anything short of that would be just butchering up the top of your car. So its either the buldges you don't like....or taking it completely apart and doing it the right way. Your choice. Or then again...you could butcher it....and again that is your choice.

I was hoping there was another way that required less destruction of my interior. Not knowing how to do anything he did in that thread, I knew his way wasn't an option. I was hoping maybe someone had figured out a less messy way of doing it. Maybe the dealer will be of some help... and cheap too. (yeah right) :(

Back