How To: Remove/Install Tranny and LSD or disassemble gears

I just wanted to take this space to thank turf for this thread.
It would have taken me awhile to figure out the roll pin part,and lifting the assembly.
I probaly would have dissesembled most of it. (thumb)

BTW to the guy posted above me.

it's called a through out bearing,and you get a new one when yo buy a clutch kit.

awesome. hey about the passenger side axle, how did you go about removing it? just wondering what you guys did that may have been easier.

We didn't remove it or move it... the tranny came in and out without moving that axle... however, you can remove the 3 bolts that hold the bracket on the backet of the motor in place that holds the axle and then you can also release the control arm and it is easy then to pull the axle out.

Hey, could you show something about the wiring on the backside, i was going to hook the the wiring on the backside of the transmission and it appear as though I have an extra connector. I was somewhat puzzled but didn't think much of it and just added in my transmission fluid and went home now I'm going back to the shop tonight to finish up and I still have no clue where the hell it goes. If anyone has a clue what I'm talking about it would be helpful. I have a very small picture taken with my phone which i apparently had turned to the lowest resolution possible.
Picture008.jpg

wow that picture sucks. i can't really remember what color the wires were. Hopefully someone knows right off the bat. or maybe now that i'm well rested i won't hunt for 20 minutes like i did last night. of course it was 1 in the morning when i was looking. haha

Minus said:
Hey, could you show something about the wiring on the backside, i was going to hook the the wiring on the backside of the transmission and it appear as though I have an extra connector. I was somewhat puzzled but didn't think much of it and just added in my transmission fluid and went home now I'm going back to the shop tonight to finish up and I still have no clue where the hell it goes. If anyone has a clue what I'm talking about it would be helpful. I have a very small picture taken with my phone which i apparently had turned to the lowest resolution possible.
Picture008.jpg

wow that picture sucks. i can't really remember what color the wires were. Hopefully someone knows right off the bat. or maybe now that i'm well rested i won't hunt for 20 minutes like i did last night. of course it was 1 in the morning when i was looking. haha

I'm pretty sure that connects to a connector on the end of a pair of green wires that goes to a plug that is either in the front bottom of the trans, or the back bottom of the trans... so look for a pigtail with a connector on it somewhere toward the front of the car I believe that is about 8" long...

Otherwise the only other one I can think of that has gotten me before is the speedo hookup which is on the back by the starter... and is a black connector that is vertical and hard as hell to see behind the engine mount.

Later!

Steve

I think that one realy is an extra.

not certain,but if my memory serves me right,then it is extra

otherwise check for your water temp sensor to be connected, your intake air temp sensor... those are similar as well.

The only other ones I can think of are your speedo sensor and your reverse lights. I would check to make sure you have both.

roni said:
The only other ones I can think of are your speedo sensor and your reverse lights. I would check to make sure you have both.

Although, it is possible to hook one of the connectors to the other connector instead of directly to the tranny.

oh well i went right in last night and about 3 minutes of looking i located it. but i can't for the most remember where it was, i believe it was the speedometer. anyways i went in last night bleed my clutch and hooked that up, put battery tray and air box and all back in and took her for a test drive. first time shes chirped 2nd in way over a year. even spun slightly in third. I say slightly because you could barely hear it but never the less it was much better than my stock disc. I will upload some pictures of my comparisons.

i was able to slide the differential out without taking out the roll pin. just letting you all know. easy to do and great write up man.

DiscreetSpeed said:
i was able to slide the differential out without taking out the roll pin. just letting you all know. easy to do and great write up man.

yeah,you can,but is easier with it removed.

BTW,another set of hands os wonderful on this project.

wicked said:
yeah,you can,but is easier with it removed.

BTW,another set of hands os wonderful on this project.

actually i couldnt get the forks in a position where i can get the pin out.
so i did this and sliding it out was hella easy so i disagree.(poke)

clutch and engine mounts

having problems getting the half shaft out of the tranny, any suggestions? I am only doing the rear mount and clutch. would it be possible to just leave it attached when the trans on the ground? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Back