Hardmount for radar detector

they're illegal in most of canada... but hey, it's only a no-no if you get caught right? has anyone been able to successfully install a radar/laser detector discreetly in a 3 yet?

does your law enforcement have the detectors up there?......in va they have a detector to detect the laser/radar detector and sometimes break them on the side of the road or fry them with the radar unit...

i'm sure you can just hardwire it through the top vent right below the windshield. I'm looking to do so too. right now i have it suctioned right next to my rearview mirror with the wire hanging straight down to the cigarette lighter. for some reason, i think having it installed where i have it disrupts the detector because it's trying to look behind the mirror tint, dotted thingie (whatever it's called)

Da 6 said:
does your law enforcement have the detectors up there?......in va they have a detector to detect the laser/radar detector and sometimes break them on the side of the road or fry them with the radar unit...

A lot of new/expensive radar detectors are invisible to the cops' "radar detector detector".

A buddy of mine got pulled over by O.P.P. while driving through Canada last year and the cop took his Valentine 1 right on the spot. He also wrote him a ticket but never reported it. Seems to me the O.P.P. just wanted the detector to resell.

adding more detectors....

my friend got a radar detector that had a detector to detect the radar detector detector (from the department of redundancy department). Thus, it was easier for him to spot cops using that thing because they /always/ had it on instead of the sporadic laser/radar that they occasionally set off.

just thinking about radar detector detector detectors makes my head hurt however

hmm.. interesting, a radar detector detector detector... what kind of price tag would something like that have on it?

Airman Jack said:
hmm.. interesting, a radar detector detector detector... what kind of price tag would something like that have on it?
It is on almost all modern radar detectors (ever mine Whistler). It names "VG-2 cloaking" or something like that. Check radar detectors' spec.

rmrf said:
It is on almost all modern radar detectors (ever mine Whistler). It names "VG-2 cloaking" or something like that. Check radar detectors' spec.

I think that just masks it from the cop's radar detector detector. I don't think it actually detects the detector detector, Hector. (spin)

Very Funny, but also confusing....
So what you're saying is you need a radar detector that not only detects the Laser and the thingamajigs, but also one that is also a radar detector detector? but doesn't that mean the cops will get a radar detector detector detector within a year or so. so now everyone will want a radar detector detector detector detector? bleh my mind is all out of whack..... must go to.... sleep

Okay, from what I understand there is more than just VG-2 RDD's (Radar Detector Detectors) used by cops. Almost all reputable brands and models mask the detector from VG-2's and another aged technology, Spectre. However, now there is two newer types of RDD's employed: Spectre-II and MD-3. Higher end models can shield you from everything except Spectre-II. So far, no (reputable) manufacturer claims/proves that their detectors can shield you from Spectre-II. In fact, straight from Beltronics' FAQ at http://www.beltronics.com/detector-faq.html:

Should I be concerned about radar detector detectors?

U.S. non-commercial drivers should not be concerned at all unless you drive in Virginia or Washington DC. If you do drive in either of those places, are a commercial driver, or drive in Canada, please note that while all of our current detectors are immune to the VG-2 radar detector detector (RDD), there is a newer RDD named Spectre II that was able to detect all brands of detectors in a recent speedzones.com test.

http://www.speedzones.com is referred to as one of/the best non-biased reviewer sites there is. Some manufacturers use their "seal of approval" in their marketing. They have a really good bit about RDD's from their last test conducted June 2003. They will be doing a new test of the latest hardware anytime now and will release the results Mid-June. (Long) excerpt:

If you operate a radar detector in a car it is legal except in Virginia, Washington D.C. or on U.S. military reservations where they are illegal. In Canada only three provinces allow detector use in cars; British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan. In trucks (18 wheelers) it is a different story. Operating a radar detector in an 18 wheeler was made illegal in all states effective February 1995 per USDOT directive, Code of Federal Regulations, CFR 47, parts 392, 392.71. Much retail radar detector packaging space is dedicated to the issue of claiming invisibility to the VG-2. The VG-2, marketed by Kustom Signals Inc., was the first radar detector / detector (RDD). All radar detectors radiate some amount of microwave at a certain frequency. Many times you are driving on the interstate and your detector goes off. You look around for Smokey....no Smokey. It was the radar detector in the opposite lane of traffic keying up yours. VG-2 is looking for microwave, lo (local oscillator) leakage at 11.55 GHz. Detector makers did two things to defeat the VG-2. First they changed their lo frequency. Second, and most clandestine, was to detect the VG-2's microwave leakage, shut down the detector until the threat was passed, and then turn back on the detector. It is called VG-2 Alert or a radar detector / detector / detector. Checkmate right? Wrong! Two years ago a new RDD, the Spectre, landed from Australia. It looked for the expanded detector lo leakage frequencies. Detector makers countered by changing lo frequencies. A new Spectre with a wider lo window has entered the market along with an entirely new RDD, the MD-3 from Hill Country Research. All three RDDs were provided SML by the Texas Department of Public Safety, the state police, for the field evaluation. Texas troopers operated the RDDs and detectors started at a cone placed at 1/2 mile from the RDDs. Test vehicles drove at 30 mph and when detected, the test vehicle was told to stop and its range was determined by a Kustom Pro III laser gun. Rocky Mountain Radar's (RMR) new 150 and 250 models claim they can detect all RDDs. They were tested. The results follow:

[...Due to formatting problems, results removed from post. Check their website for the details...]

The Spectre II was the clear winner here detecting all retail radar detectors. It did not detect one pre-production, engineering prototype. The new MD-3 did not detect the higher lo frequencies of the Valentine One, Bel 985, Passport 8500, and Passport SR7. TXDPS will combine these findings with their field evaluations in making a purchasing decision. SML is publishing an article, "Detecting Detectors" at the request of a major law enforcement publication. The article will be published in the Fall. A new product was introduced by Dealer Marketing called the "Detector Finder". The Finder is a handheld device designed to assist police in locating illegally operated radar detectors in a vehicle. It contains low output, Part 15, CFR 47, less than 5 mW, emitters for X, K, and Ka band plus laser. Small enough to fit into a pocket, the officer simply depresses one of the radar buttons when questioning a suspect vehicle to key up the detected radar detector by the RDD.

Either that made your head hurt less, or even more. (boom04)

~Bart~

Edit: ugh. some nasty spelling mistakes.

Last edited:
you don't need the fancy device to be found....if you are one of those people who trained themselves to lock there brakes when the thing goes off then you give your self away... There is a hold feature where instead of it being on all the time they just hold it down and release it with it locking in whatever speed it last picked up....so by the time you hit the brakes it's too late and the tactic is hold....release...hold...relaese..........hold. so the individual keeps nosediving with nothing in front or behind him leading to behavior like possible dui or reckless and on stop they see your device or refer to it and watch you sweat. As stated in article va d.c. and military... if you leave the suction cups that only says you do have one but nit visable right now....only thing that could help you is that fron't plate thing that temporarly throws the laser off so you have leeway to slow down "Casusal Like" before it starts displaying your speed. also another technice for laser only is keeping the car really dirty so there isn't a shinny/reflective spot on the car. laser and radar are 2 totally difrent things!

bvmazda3 said:
I think that just masks it from the cop's radar detector detector. I don't think it actually detects the detector detector, Hector. (spin)

I dunno, since the article seems to refer to the silly things being able to pick up and shut themselves off... I think one of the features of the device was that it would beep a special beep to say "I've detected a detector^2 and am shielding myself...."

it was a couple of years ago... around 2000 or 2001... and it was in charlotte, where they had set up a bunch of speed detectors on the highways that set the thing off every 10 minutes anyways.

Just like the good old days of having one go off every time you go by a shopping center with a door opener within 500 feet. :cool:

Question to guys, who hooked up radar 12V to maplights. Which wire have 12V ?

Back