Q: Army Rations

Equinox

Daddy Warbucks
Contributor
:
09 370Z Nismo
Hey I have an MRE (Meal Ready-to-Eat) ration, and I think it's from Desert storm....92 or so. How long do you think Menu No. 5 can last freeze dried and not spoil? It's starting to look kinda tasty and I'll probably end up eating it.

Hey it has accessory packet B!

lol, MRE's have a shelf life of about 15 years. ITs still good man, I got about 4 boxes left from when I got out in 98. :D

boostisgood said:
lol, MRE's have a shelf life of about 15 years. ITs still good man, I got about 4 boxes left from when I got out in 98. :D

Awesome. Yeah I found an article about how they have a shelf life depending on storage temperature, and in Texas I assumed 80 degrees, it lasts six years. Then I noticed that they mean shelf life, solely on how well it tastes alone. Apparently the MRE nutritional value, and safety to eat lasts way beyond the shelf life of six years(80 degrees). Maybe it just wont taste as good.

thats what the hot sause is in there for. :D Use the heater to heat it, and throw the hot sause in it. MMMMMMmmmmm MMMMmmmm Im gonna have to go and bust one open just for ole times sake. :D

hellcat said:
Hahahaha! You must be broke and starvin. MRE = Meal Refussing to Exit. Damn, I can't spell!

Nah found a squad pack I had, (feeds 18 people!) Lets see what's in Menu No. 5, and Asry. Pack B.

"Spaghetti With Meat Sauce"
"Beverage Base Powder - Cherry", lmao
"Cheese Spread - Fortified"
(1) "Cracker", Super ultra vacuum sealed like a brick.
"Maple Nut Cake", hahahahaha, Maple nut cake.

Asry Pack B has;
"Coffee"
"Insant Cream Substitute"
"Sugar"
"Salt"
"Chewing Gum"?
"Matches"
"Toilet paper"!
"Hot Sauce"
"Hand Cleaner"

Replica said:
If you eat it, i'll give you a dollar.

I dunno this Chiclet gum looks circa 1950, and apparently this cracker is rated for 200lbs static weight for 3 minutes.

Wait a second, Boost, I don't think this even came with a heating element.

Oh wait... it fell in my lap =p

Last edited:
Micah said:
MRE's can be bought online fairly cheap - I used to buy them.

yeah the heating element didn't work anymore, and I spent the last 30 minutes in the crapper =p

Ask any soldier or Marine: any and everything always taste better with Tabasco sauce. And I've eaten 10 years or older ones, made me constipated for a week, but it's better than getting the runs when you're out in the middle of BFE with a roll of toilet paper and a bush.

And I didnt know there was a "good until" date on those things. We always thought it was cool to get one that had seen like 2 wars and 4 conflicts. Made it sound like you were eating part of history or something. lol

Oh and if you're not careful, the heating element is explosive. Just thought I'd pass that on. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY.

laracroft said:
Ask any soldier or Marine: any and everything always taste better with Tabasco sauce. And I've eaten 10 years or older ones, made me constipated for a week, but it's better than getting the runs when you're out in the middle of BFE with a roll of toilet paper and a bush.

And I didnt know there was a "good until" date on those things. We always thought it was cool to get one that had seen like 2 wars and 4 conflicts. Made it sound like you were eating part of history or something. lol

Oh and if you're not careful, the heating element is explosive. Just thought I'd pass that on. FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY.

yeah the good until is jsut something I read in an article that describes about the time the food doesn't taste as ... pleasent.

But if you eat it with tabasco, you would NEVER know the difference. I've eaten worse things. lol

Equinox said:
Nah found a squad pack I had, (feeds 18 people!) Lets see what's in Menu No. 5, and Asry. Pack B.

"Spaghetti With Meat Sauce"
"Beverage Base Powder - Cherry", lmao
"Cheese Spread - Fortified"
(1) "Cracker", Super ultra vacuum sealed like a brick.
"Maple Nut Cake", hahahahaha, Maple nut cake.

Asry Pack B has;
"Coffee"
"Insant Cream Substitute"
"Sugar"
"Salt"
"Chewing Gum"?
"Matches"
"Toilet paper"!
"Hot Sauce"
"Hand Cleaner"

I dunno this Chiclet gum looks circa 1950, and apparently this cracker is rated for 200lbs static weight for 3 minutes.

Wait a second, Boost, I don't think this even came with a heating element.

Oh wait... it fell in my lap =p
Hey Dude, they last for a while and trust me when the cheese states "fortified" it means that you won;t take a dump for a while. When u are on the "boonies" and there's no toilet paper around, the last thing to want to do is go to the bathroom. (thumb)

"Maple Nut Cake" is an old one, no longer available.
IF the bag is dark brown you have an antique.

I was just in the field the last two weeks and avoided them for the first three or four days.
New ones have vanilla or strawberry "milkshakes" that are mostly Coffee-mate non-diary creamer. mmmm.... tastes like pancake batter.

the best ones now is the spagetti. it just depends but thats usually the one everyone likes but theres some others that taste alright. yeah next week i leave for two weeks to go to fort bliss (el paso, tx) for our a.t. and will get the chance to dine on these tasty morcels for two weeks. man i hope we get field chow at least twice a day but i have a feeling its going to be mres twice and field chow once a day. either way they will last damn near forever. not the best but if your out in the middle of nowhere and hungry they arent that bad lol. hell if anything keep one in your car in case you break down and your hungry you got something to eat.

man i cant wait :(

FYI, MRE's have about 3000 calories each. :D It is designed to be albe to give you enough calories to only have to eat 1 time a day without killing yourself. :D

because in the field its that or starve. lol. s*** if your hungry enough then youll eat it willingly. yeah i know that it gives you enough of what you need to survive but eating only onec a day hurts. im so damn hungry all the time. i swear i think i have a tape worm inside of me.

jk i promise

bpt mx-3 said:
because in the field its that or starve. lol. s*** if your hungry enough then youll eat it willingly.
Well, if it's the only thing available, I'll eat it. I just figured Equinox was a civilian.

Back