What Special Care Is Involved In Washing A Miata?

maddog333

:
Mazda Miata LS
Miata owners,

I have just purchased a 2004 classic red/black manual top cloth Mazda Miata LS and was wondering how people in this forum are choosing to wash their Miatas. The owner's manual says to stay away from high speed car washes, but my salesman said that most of the automatic car washes are okay. The Mazda service shop leader says that I should manually wash it. How is everyone else doing it? Are you all manually washing them, or are the automatic softcloth car washes okay? If you are manually washing, do you have a favorite brand of car wash soap? What special care are you all taking concerning the convertible top? The manual says to brush it with a soft brush to remove the dirt, and then to wash it with a soft cloth and soap/cold water. I had the vehicle valueguarded at the dealer, if that matters. I'll be looking forward to your suggestions.

PM

Woohoo! A new proud Miata owner. I just bought my 03 SE brand new and I immediately bought some soft top cleaner (soft top dry cleaner) and an ultra proofer. They are buy Renovo. You can find this stuff on Ebay or just do a yahoo search.

I personally haven't taken my MX-5 thru an automatic wash and never will. I'm a fanatic about hand washing. I find that a nice soft terry cloth works well to wash the body with. No sponges or Micro Fiber, I think MF sucks. It catches things easily and you can't get it out of the fibers. Maybe good for washing the glass but if you wash all the way under the doors, like I do, then you will get stuff on them and they don't come clean easily either. I've used many different cleaners for my cars but right now I use the Mr. Clean cool spray machine that has it's own type of soap. I think it does a great job.

I did find this cool chammy type thing to dry with. It was a more rubbery type of material than a normal chammy but does the same kind of thing. It soaks up water really well and is easy to wring out imo. I found it at AutoZone here in Austin TX but I'm willing to bet you can find it at any auto parts place. They come in all kinds of frilly colors like the smilies below. It soaks up water really well

Welcome to the Miata Familia! (group)

Last edited:
StratoMX5,

Thanks very much for the info. Thanks for the welcome to the Miata family. I've had Mitsu's, Toyotas, Hondas, and still own a Subaru Forester. This is my first Mazda.

PM

I always hand wash my Miata. Blast off all the loose dirt with a hose first. Any decent quality car wash soap should work. Don't use dish soap, because it will strip off the wax. I used to use a foam sponge, which worked okay as long as you made sure to get the dirt off any time it picked up something visible. I now use a long-nap cotton car wash mitt. I think it's great. I got a synthetic chamois called "The Absorber" that is phenomenal.

I wash the vinyl top with the car wash soap. I don't know if the newer models with black tops are cloth or still vinyl. I know that they changed the tan/parchment tops to cloth. There is some special waterproofing stuff you can use on cloth tops. Maybe Scotchgard, even. For the vinyl top I occasionally put on "303" which is a protective spray like Armor All for plastic and rubber.

And I wax the car about twice a year, which protects the paint and makes it easier to keep clean.

This is my first Mazda too and I'm more than happy with my purchase.

Ortho - that is what that thing is called. "THE ABSORBER!"

Just say NO to auto car washes!!! they are bad for convertible tops and the seals WILL leak water into the cabin because of the pressure.

it's best to hand wash. :) You can't go wrong with it. Lots of good suggestions here.

I have a black Miata and wash it by hand. I just started using the Mr. Clean autowash thing and the verdict is still out. The good thing is you don't have to dry the car because the water sheets off but I could swear it gets dirty faster.

I never have to worry about cleaning the softtop because I have a hardtop.

What the hell, I'll chime in. lol. Yeah, hand washing is best all around. I really don't think any car should be taken through an automated car wash. Bad things happen in there. Very bad thngs. The touchless ones with the wand you use are fine so long as you don't EVER use the tire foam brush on your paint or wheels.

I too am a big fan of the Mr. Clean Autodry. Yeah, I'm lazy, but with five cars too wash (at the moment) I'm entitled. I like to use lamb's wool type wash mitt. I think it tends to pick up the least amount of particles, but terry cloth like Strato uses is good too. Biggest thing is just pay attention to what your mitt or cloth is picking up and don't continue using it if you drop it.

As for maintaining the top, we like to use Meguiars Professional Grade vinyl/leather protectant. It seems to moisturize the top well and gives it a nice shine. The bonus is that it has an SPF of 40 so it gives a little extra protection from what the Sun can do to your top.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your Roadster, er... Miata

Back