ETB Coolant Bypass Mod

doctor3 said:
Let me know what you think of the mod and tell us what all you have done to the 3. I saw on another thread a box of stock parts w/ your name on it. I am about to purchuse a CAI and a pipe and want to know if the mods are worth the ching (money). Thanx
I did it over the weekend. Not a real noticeable change in performance but I do have more pick up with the A/C on, as crazy as that sounds.

well i didt the bypass .. performance gains?? i dont know (my butt dyno isnt calibrated yet) but the ETB stays cool after a 20 mins drive...

Attachments

• DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00105.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC00107.JPG
    DSC00107.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
TX2000 said:
now i need some rubber caps.. ill get those tomorow
Let me know what size you got and where you got them. I need to get some myself.

Yeah, no real performance gains. Don't expect any at least. It just seams like the engine isn't as bogged down under 2000RPMS with the AC on.

Reset Time

Nathan G said:
Let me know what size you got and where you got them. I need to get some myself.

Yeah, no real performance gains. Don't expect any at least. It just seams like the engine isn't as bogged down under 2000RPMS with the AC on.
Ok boys and girls, justr to let you all know a few things that happened to me recently.
I recently have removed my resonator, and have noticed a weird jolt or almost bog in in 1 - 3rd gear under 2500, which is weird becuase i keep the pedal at the same point when this happens. I recently also bypass the coolant lines into the TB. So, I decide to go ahead and dissconect the batter for about 3 hours. I reconnect it, turned the car on and let it sit for about 3 min to reset everything. Took it out driving, and WOW!!! Things just seem to run a lot smoother, and it gets up there pretty damn quick now.
My advice to you all is this, RESET if you think any new mod you have added/taken off might have done something. It never hurts to re-teach your ECU. Also it is kind of a reason to take the car out at night and push her a little! :) (headbang)

well well well i just took the car out for a spin and i did feel smoother acceleration from 1000 to 3000 rpms.. really nice

IllBinfrontofya said:
Ok boys and girls, justr to let you all know a few things that happened to me recently.
I recently have removed my resonator, and have noticed a weird jolt or almost bog in in 1 - 3rd gear under 2500, which is weird becuase i keep the pedal at the same point when this happens. I recently also bypass the coolant lines into the TB. So, I decide to go ahead and dissconect the batter for about 3 hours. I reconnect it, turned the car on and let it sit for about 3 min to reset everything. Took it out driving, and WOW!!! Things just seem to run a lot smoother, and it gets up there pretty damn quick now.
My advice to you all is this, RESET if you think any new mod you have added/taken off might have done something. It never hurts to re-teach your ECU. Also it is kind of a reason to take the car out at night and push her a little! :) (headbang)
hmmmm...I disconnected my battery for about 10 minutes. Is that enough? 3 hours seems like a long time.

goldwing2000 said:
Couldn't hurt. Would give the ECU time to re-learn the increased air flow.
Cool, Thanx. Doing it now. BTW do you guys have poplar trees in Mi.? They give off these white fuzzy things it looked like it snowed here, and they stick to everything. I got tire-wet on my rubber and it looks like my 3 is wearing "fuzzy bunny slippers". It sucks.

Thanx again
Tim

I was also told you can make it like 6-8 mins if you attempt to start the car after disconnection.....supose to drain capasiter in pcm(Reason you wait for so long...so it losses power and forgets everything) This is good and bad....god cause it's a gain but bad if you make it a habbit when you get a cel...I'm gonna say it will also help out on a dyno....I then got a ice blanket to wrap the intake in between runs when I go(yippy)

doctor3 said:
Cool, Thanx. Doing it now. BTW do you guys have poplar trees in Mi.? They give off these white fuzzy things it looked like it snowed here, and they stick to everything. I got tire-wet on my rubber and it looks like my 3 is wearing "fuzzy bunny slippers". It sucks.

Thanx again
Tim

Oh yeah... not poplars but cottonwood. It's not too bad just yet but eventually my front lawn looks like it got snowed on.

Interesting theory on the capacitors. It makes sense but I don't know if it would actually work. (dunno)

It will also help out on a dyno

Meaning: the tb mod helps cause the car sits there in a room with a fan trying to assist in cooling process. both the tb and the intake get hot but the intake has heat resistant paint so it absorbs the heat withought transfering it to the air...

Well

Disconnected the battery, let it sit for 10 min and while I was waiting I turned the ignition key. Reconnected the battery and went for a spin. I could appreciate a little less bog on the low end but that was it. Thanx Da6 and Goldwing. I think I'm gonna figure a way to bypass the ETB next as so I can reconnect it in Oct/Nov when the temps start to drop. I'll let ya know what I came up with when I tackle it.
Thanx again,
Tim (headbang)

Da 6 said:
Meaning: the tb mod helps cause the car sits there in a room with a fan trying to assist in cooling process. both the tb and the intake get hot but the intake has heat resistant paint so it absorbs the heat withought transfering it to the air...

Ummm... the intake has NO paint. It's plastic. (uhm)

for those who did the mod...remember to leave those tools and cup in the car incase you need to go back stock "Roadside"....

Back