ETB Coolant Bypass Mod

goldwing2000

Turd in the punch bowl
:
2004 Mazda3s Hatch; 269,000 miles
As discussed on one of the other threads, the Electronic Throttle Body on the 3 is heated by engine coolant.

While this is done to aid in fuel vaporization and produce a cleaner burning vehicle (and prevent ETB icing in the winter), the warmer air does hamper performance.

The nice folks over at Mazda 6 forums were kind enough to write up a quickie procedure for bypassing the coolant flow (http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=35) but I'd like to offer a possibly more viable solution for those of us in the colder climates to help prevent ETB icing while still getting the colder air benefit from the mod.

Simply put, we could place a valve in the hose that feeds coolant to the ETB. There are numerous ways to accomplish this but the two that come two mind are as follows:

#1 Use a simple ball valve, available at any hardware/home improvement store. I don't know what temperature they are rated for or if there may be different valves for different applications but this would be a simple way to place a manual valve inline to close off the coolant flow. This would be the cheapest option, maybe $10.

#2 Use an actual heater control valve. These are designed for use with automotive coolants and are generally lever or vacuum controlled. It wouldn't be difficult to rig up a switch and vacuum solenoid to control the coolant flow so it could be controlled from inside the vehicle. This would be optimal for the chilly morning drive/shut it off as the car warms up scenario but would be a bit more expensive, possibly up to $100 depending on how involved you want to get.

DISCUSSION!!

Last edited:
Or do not worry about it. Us Florida people HEHEHEHE. It should still work in the winter but car take a while to warm up..

Questions.

1. Has the 6 ppl done this and how do thy percieve the modification to improve performance, i.e does it help?

2. If it seems to help performance, your question: how do we in the colder climates control the flow to the TB? The ball valve appears to be the simplest thing to do. The vacuum line with a switch seems REALLY involved but a do-able thing. I guess i would want to hear from the 6 community as to thier percepition of the mod.

This is exactly why I follow this forum. I think this is a great question. If we can find out more info from ppl who have done this and it appears to help I would consider researching the valve/no-valve question further.

Thanx

Tim

6 ppl have done it (check the link I posted). They have a forum over there you could browse through if you want to get their opinions.

mazda6tech and mazda6club has the how-to.....and as for the valve.....that coolant runs back into the head somewhere so I'm still not shure on that one....would it be like a "t" conection....or maybe a y with split rotaing ball valves on both sides of the tb?....Thats what I ment as in going back if you tb ever freezes up so you can rectify the situation on the spot. I was thinking of getting another resovoir and windshield washer pump and rig something out of trial and error (If I ever get that thing called "Free Time") so there would be coolant running in it but not as hot as the coolant is now....The line runs from the engine to tb then back to engine now....I beleve this would also cool the intake down since it is also directly attached to the tb and already suffers from the heat blasts from the fans(reason you don't go sri) may not have mentioned it but all the mods and how-to's are "At Your Own Risk" so no one is to blame if you incorectly install a cai and damage abs harnesses or do a complete brake fluid flush while painting the calipers...If you are unshure please ask someone before taking a wrench to the car. most the mods don't void warrenty "As long as you don't tear anything up" IE not conecting the 2 lines securely (Temp Job) leaking all the fluid causing the engine to overheat...or going to some drive thru lube shop with your 2.3 and they hill billy rig a fram spin-on w/o mazda spin-on adaptor and pump your pan dry a few blocks down(true story) and one more thing to add....if you are one of those people who get t stats that open up 20-30 degrees lower than stock cause someone said it adds like 10 hp don't do it cause you will not burn fuel correctly making gas mileage and quality of ride SUFFER...

so to sum it up....best to ask before you do! You may feel stupid to ask but better than being dumb for not.

I must be blind, or maybe just stupid

goldwing2000 said:
6 ppl have done it (check the link I posted). They have a forum over there you could browse through if you want to get their opinions.
Goldwing, I checked the link repeatedly and I can only read the page with the how-to on it. If you would be so kind as to post another link as to the ppl's opinion or just give me some guidence. My wife is standing over me as I type saying " I think I regret letting you buy a BRAND NEW car." lol She doesn't even know how much she will regret this, HAHAHA.

Tim

ps. Happy Memorial Day.

doctor3 said:
Goldwing, I checked the link repeatedly and I can only read the page with the how-to on it. If you would be so kind as to post another link as to the ppl's opinion or just give me some guidence. My wife is standing over me as I type saying " I think I regret letting you buy a BRAND NEW car." lol She doesn't even know how much she will regret this, HAHAHA.

Tim

ps. Happy Memorial Day.

On the left side of the page is a link to "Mazda6Tech Forums". There's a search feature on the forum and you should be able to find anything that's been written. If you can't find what you're looking for... well, just join their forum and post the question. (2thumbs)

Da 6:

Do you know off hand which is the supply line and which is the return line?

I'm just about positive that the intake manifold will get coolant from someplace else in addition to the return from the ETB. That would just about negate any cooling effects from the aux cooler.

Anyway... I haven't even looked at it yet.

I'll know more after some "quality time" with my engine. ;)

you want 1 thread?.....here goes...I suck at search engines so all I could find was just 1...I still posted it cause whats the point in hiding a thread? (You'll see what I ment by cliking the link below)....gimme a sec and Ill retreve the ones for grounding and post it in other thread...

http://mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=15276&page=1

Last edited:
are those the coolant lines??

i went to the Mazda6 link and wasnt able to look at the photos

and btw the TB gets hot preatty fast.. i only ran the car for like 6 mins ant the thing was way hot...

Attachments

• coolant.jpg
    coolant.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,670
Retorical question

What if we made the mod with the male/male connector and utilized the it only during the summer months? Do you think the connector could be placed/removed w/ minimal trouble? I will be honest the thought of my TB freezing on the way to work scares the s*** out of me.

doctor3 said:
I will be honest the thought of my TB freezing on the way to work scares the s*** out of me.

move to Phoenix Arizona (hehe).. I bet I would never have to worry about this mod affecting me here, I think the coldest it ever gets here is low 50's

Dead Ringer said:
move to Phoenix Arizona (hehe).. I bet I would never have to worry about this mod affecting me here, I think the coldest it ever gets here is low 50's
Moving to Jacksonville, Fl 7/1/05 but not soon enough. Up here on Lake Erie is nice now but in Janurary it never got above 17 degrees F

omw to pick up a male to male 3/8 conector hehe... the sad part is that im going in my 3 soo gotta wait a long time before i install it...

Got the conector.. now waiting for the car to cool down :mad:

Attachments

• conector.jpg
    conector.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 271
You might want to get some rubber caps to put over the pipes on the ETB. You don't want any crap getting in there while it's disconnected.

Tx2000

Let me know what you think of the mod and tell us what all you have done to the 3. I saw on another thread a box of stock parts w/ your name on it. I am about to purchuse a CAI and a pipe and want to know if the mods are worth the ching (money). Thanx

Back