Pic's of AEM Intake on my M3 & Installation FYI

QUIKnEZ

:
2004 Mazda3 GFX
Peep the pics.

It's a B.I. to install the intake, and to be honest, unless the Canadian-Spec M3 is slightly different, it doesn't fit well and in my opinion is poorly designed.

The cone sits right behind the left front wheel, unfortunatley the wheel-well has slits in it, making it really easy for it to get dirty/wet.

The Baro-Sensor, was not fitted to the intake properly,and I had to grind down the hub it sits on.

You have to take off the left front tire and part of the wheel-well to install; took myself and another one of my gear-head buddies a good 4 hours to install.

While taking off part of the wheel well, you have to remove at least one staple of 3 that attaching the front wheel-well to the top-well. These didn't exist in the AEM instructions.

The air-flow sensor and and BP sensor's wires are a stretch to attached to the intake.

The resonator is a ***** to get off, good luck. (hump)

Make sure to have a 10mm wrench head, and a Alan tool handy.

If you live in Canada and you opted for the underbody coating, have fun finding/taking out the plastic screws in the underbody.

Which leads me to my last quirk, taking the underbody panels off is easy but a pain in the ass.

The M3's Intake is certainly much harder to install then any Honda's I've ever seen.

I haven't really broke my baby in yet, I can't say there's any tangible performance boost. But @ ~3 - 3.5K you can hear the little thing sucking like mad, sounds nice.

Attachments

• Intake3.jpg
    Intake3.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 743
  • Intake 1.jpg
    Intake 1.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 743
  • Old Intake.jpg
    Old Intake.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 639
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 719
Last edited:
You are the first that I have heard that has had this much trouble. Sucks that it was that hard to do. Some peolpe on the other board have done it and said it wasnt that hard. My buddies RSX-S was a pain. Had to take off the whole front bumper and cut out some of the wheel well out.

Wow, I took my the bottom part of the intke off months ago and that took 15 minutes and taking the rest off and installing the AEM took 10 minutes to do and everything fit perfect. Total of 25 minutes for me and I did not have to take of the wheel.

---Herb---

Last edited:
AzMz3 said:
Wow, I took my the bottom part of the intke off months ago and that took 15 minutes and taking the rest off and installing the AEM took 10 minutes to do and everything fit perfect. Total of 25 minutes for me and I did not have to take of the wheel.

---Herb---

Mine fits perfect, however the location of the cone concerns me...I find it hard to believe that you put your intake on in 25 mins....and you do have to take the the left wheel off, how else do you get the wheel-well shield off to get to the resonator?....sounds fishy to me.

If you read the other threads about the AEM intake/Resonator you'll find most people have had the same issues as I.

AzMz3 said:

---Herb---
He must have reversed the 2 and the 5. (naughty)

QUIKnEZ said:
Mine fits perfect, however the location of the cone concerns me...I find it hard to believe that you put your intake on in 25 mins....and you do have to take the the left wheel off, how else do you get the wheel-well shield off to get to the resonator?....sounds fishy to me.

If you read the other threads about the AEM intake/Resonator you'll find most people have had the same issues as I.

You have to have the right tools and you don't need to take the wheel or the wheel well off. Its pretty easy and simple if you know what you are doing!
I just drove it up on the ramps, took off the spash sheild. Remove the plastic peice that holds the spash sheild on the drivers side, and 3 bolts and the bottom part of the intake is off.

---Herb---

razorblade kiss said:
He must have reversed the 2 and the 5. (naughty)

Nope, it was just easy to me...... (wiggle)

You guys sound like the types that should have taken it to a shop....little too hard for you too install. (uhm)

--Herb--

I just wanted to know if the AeM fits only for the 2.3 liter or both??? My dealer says its suppose to fit both since there is no specification for the 2.3l or 2.0l. If someone could answer me...

Answer me dammit!

jbass said:
I just wanted to know if the AeM fits only for the 2.3 liter or both??? My dealer says its suppose to fit both since there is no specification for the 2.3l or 2.0l. If someone could answer me...
The AEM intake, according to the manufacturer is for the 2.3 as far as I know. Thats not to say that Micky Mouse himself couldn't install it in a 2.0. One of the authorized vendors might be better able to answer your question.

Water won't be an issue unless you drive in 12" of water daily.

As for fitment I have heard several complaints about the sensor attachment not being correct or having a hole with a different size than the included bolt.

I bet if you turn the wheel in one direction or another the wheel removal would be unneccessary.

I will wait for K&N's response before I become an AEM early adopter.

I wonder why people don't complain to AEM to get these issues addressed?

AzMz3 said:
Nope, it was just easy to me...... (wiggle)

You guys sound like the types that should have taken it to a shop....little too hard for you too install. (uhm)

--Herb--
It would take about a good 20 minutes to change the oil on a car. And your telling me it only took you 5 minutes more to install a cai? Hey man, if you can, power to you. You should be in a pit crew for a drifting racecar team.

razorblade kiss said:
It would take about a good 20 minutes to change the oil on a car. And your telling me it only took you 5 minutes more to install a cai? Hey man, if you can, power to you. You should be in a pit crew for a drifting racecar team.

How are you even comparing changing oil to installing an intake? I guess it will take you along time if this is your first car or never done anything to a car but drive it.

LOL I'm not trying to win any awards installing an intake. But I don't mess around and this was one of the easier ones I have done. Besides I bet you guys are just using pliers too do it. (rofl2) Haveing the right tools will make it a quick and easy job.

--Herb--

Herb,

Did u also find that the air-flow sensor and and BP sensor's wires were a bit of a stretch to put on?

I've heard that from a few ppl also... i.e. raitchison and vaboom.

malebastard said:
Herb,

Did u also find that the air-flow sensor and and BP sensor's wires were a bit of a stretch to put on?

I've heard that from a few ppl also... i.e. raitchison and vaboom.

Yeah they were tight, I just removed the holder that connected them to the battery box. Just 2 little snips.

---Herb---

Back