Increased efficiency with CAI???

Poseur

Contributor
:
03.5 Lsr Blue P5
Okay, so I'm really not generally much for the sound of intakes. I had a HKS on my honda that I prettymuch only ran when I felt like being obnoxious, the buzzyness just isn't my style, And the constnat droning actually grew physically tiring. In particular on this car, we all know 5's aren't that fast... It has, however come to my attn. lately that intakes can show a pretty decent improvement in fuel economy which does interest me as I wind up taking alot of long day-trips loaded down with friends and bikes during the summer.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone with an intake has noticed a difference in gas mileage at all, I figure if I can gain 3mpg the thing'll damn-near pay for itself... And honestly if I can find a practical reason to justify it, I've got no problem running an intake. Perhaps just a K&N drop-in would be enough?

Yea I saw that one. was just fishing for more info, really. I might also either just pull my intake runner that goes over the top of the radiater, or put "speed holes'in my grille right infront of it's intake...

Poseur said:
Yea I saw that one. was just fishing for more info, really. I might also either just pull my intake runner that goes over the top of the radiater
Not sure, but I think that might just be a resonator to cut back on noise.

when i bought my p5 i was getting in the mid to low 20mpg's...now i'm getting around 32ish mpg...mods DO help!

There is a bit of breakin on any car up to the first 10,000 miles as well, but 32 is good. I'm pushing 28-29 pretty solidly. just about stock. Just added my groundwire kit, and hope to be doing more.

I wonder how come there are such huge differences in miles per gallon with this car.....I guess I am lucky, i have gottten well over 400 miles per tank since day one with 32 miles on the car.....I have calculated the milage a few times, and each time I come out to 30-32 miles per gallon...and i drive like an idiot alot of the time, at least 80 on the highway, as well as rt1 into boston which is a 50mph zone(drive)

small mods like an SRI/CAI, an exhaust, and header will help your gas mileage. They keep the engines stock tuning but just make it much more efficient. But once you add things like cams, turbos, messing with the computer, and such, all that goes out the window.

jared said:
small mods like an SRI/CAI, an exhaust, and header will help your gas mileage. They keep the engines stock tuning but just make it much more efficient. But once you add things like cams, turbos, messing with the computer, and such, all that goes out the window.
not true at all...i've got cams and an mp3 ecu...they didn't decrease my mpg at all...the cams actually helped.

Generally efficency=power. That's the beauty part of it all. Essentially, you're making your engine work less to do the same job. And computer... That's the BIG thing. one of our engine's drawbacks is overly-rich tuning. lean it out a bit, and obviously, less gas is being used, but also you get a good increase in power. Granted that's one of the reasons our cars are rated so well for durability, but also why a 2liter only puts out 135hp... I would LOOVE to get some EMI action going on, toobad it's not cheap.

jared said:

Not always true. With this motor to some extent. I built my last car, a 87 Crown Vic up very nicely. Heads, cam, intake, injectors, ECU, gears, headers, exhaust, stall converter and it got better milage than most Vic's got stock (24mpg). Heck, even my 2.3L stang with turbo, head, cam, intake and exhaust got 28mpg! The darn P5 gets that stock!

Assuming all other variables remain constant, anything that reduces friction will increase efficiency. Since most mods reduce friction somehow, whether between mechanical parts or involving air or fuel flow, most mods will increase your efficiency. The problem, however, is that most of us drive harder as the car gets more powerful and end up reducing our fuel economy below the stock expectation.

I run with synthetic fluids all around and a simple eBay SRI. My last tank of mixed driving on 85 octane fuel yielded 33.4 mpg.

zmzmzm said:
. My last tank of mixed driving on 85 octane fuel yielded 33.4 mpg.
85 octane?(uhm) never seen that for sale before.....least around here.....I agree with your logic....33 mpg is pretty good....pays off that sri in a few tanks....

octane varies by elevation. higher elevation, less dense air, lower octane ratings.

As for the math, I figured, that if you go form say 30 to 33 mpg, figuring on $2.50 for gas, you'll save $75 in 10,000 miles.

I have been debating the same issue. I want better fuel economy! I get about 23 mpg around town and 28 on highway (80-85 mph). That is better than my 94 explorer (too low to mention) but its not as high as I would like. Plus, any excuse to mod. helps! Now I must find some money.

Man, I would die to get over 23MPG. I had my P5 for about 3 months now and I have never ever got over 23MPG. I drive on the highway to work for about 25 miles, for that's about 50 miles to work and back home every day except Sunday and I still don't average good gas milages like you guys do. Well, maybe its because I have an automatic with the shiftronic thing? The mods I have is my custom 4ga ground wire kit and I don't think that did anything to my gas milage at all.
The other day, I was driving around Valley Forge Park, no less then 5 miles and my freaking gas went down like 4 lines from the half way point. What kind of ish load is that??? I'm starting to hate the P5 for its poor gas milage!!!!

Back