Frustrated w/ CEL....

wickedjra

:
MSP #408
ok, i am just getting annoyed with this problem and i'm in need of some advice. some of you read already, had my apex DP w/ HF cat installed by local muffler shop. cruised around for a day then CEL comes on. reset my ecu by unplugging my battery for a few minutes (while stepping on brake). Cel light goes away for a day then comes back. so i go to autozone to check the code for my problem and it says "O2 sensor CKT no activity", possible problem is bad O2 sensor.
So my questions are
1) did this guy break my O2 sensor and should i take it back to him?
2) how much to replace sensor myself?
3) could it be a possible bad CAT on the DP (or would the monitor have specifially said "bad catalyst")?

please respond i'm getting very annoyed w/ this and i don't know what to do.

-thanks

You have the O2 sensor attached after the Cat right?
It could be a bad cat.
You could just add the MIL eliminator to it and be done with it.

that sucks. no one else w/ a high flow cat has reported a CEL. wont this cause an issue w/ getting a smog test. i don't know if having a mil eliminator will resolve that. is there any way to test weather or not my O2 sensor is bad from the install or if i was sent a bad cat??

i would see if you could get the code read first. maybe it isnt the o2. i think some autozones or part places have code readers. if it is the o2 causing the problem, just go to radio shack and buy a 1m resitor and solder it in the the blue wire on the o2. i did that and so far so good (knock on wood) i have not had a cel on my car and i am running with no cats.

So my questions are
3) could it be a possible bad CAT on the DP (or would the monitor have specifially said "bad catalyst")?
**i've ALREADY done the autozone thing, GOT the code, KNOW about a mil eliminator. WANT to know if there is a way to test if my sensor was damaged or Cat is bad or what. i'm worried about smog test and if i have a bad sensor or a bad cat then i don't think a MIL eliminator will help.....

im pretty sure its something with a bad o2 sensor cause that code isnt the normal one for cats. If it was cat related, i usually got a code either referring to warm up cat below threshold or cat inefficiency. Maybe a wire on the sensor came out or its just ******, but i dont thinkits normal emission type stuff

thank you, that's good info. my next question would be how to replace the O2 sensor?? were can they be purchased or do i need to order from dealership?

wickedjra said:
So my questions are
**i've ALREADY done the autozone thing, GOT the code, KNOW about a mil eliminator. WANT to know if there is a way to test if my sensor was damaged or Cat is bad or what. i'm worried about smog test and if i have a bad sensor or a bad cat then i don't think a MIL eliminator will help.....
sorry man, i read your post but for some reason i missed the part about you saying you went to autozone already. my bad. i would say talk to the guy that did the work on your car and see if you can work something out with him. tell him the problem and what the code you got.

probably a bad o2 sensor, i replaced mine on my other cars, but never on the msp yet. Also which exhaust shop did you go to?

they are all pretty much the same.
go to autozone....should be arround $120
it will be $220 from the dealed.
it's the same for millenia and 6.

the guy who installed your DP might have dropped the O2 sensor.
also make sure the wire end of the sensor is pluged into the extension........that might be the issue as well.

i have a hi-flo cat on my DP, but my cat is after O2 sensor, so i still use MIL form apex.

thanks for the info. i went to valley mufflers (something like that, shop in santee) so i guess i'll go take it back to him to check it out. $120, man, i hope he doesn't give me a hard time about that.
if i should choose to put the mil eliminator on for now, will i fail smog test??

that depends on the cat, cause they hook up the smog sensors to the tail pipe.
if your cat is designed to be smog legal, then u should pass.

Back