How To: 2.0 Header Installation

MPChi said:
Seeing this thread really made me itching for getting one for my MP3, probably pairing with a K&N/Injen CAI, now that my factory warranty is expiring soon. But would want to stay CA emission legal by all means. I am not too knowledgable on headers, so please bare with me for a couple newbie questions:

What does it take to stay CA emission legal for a new header set-up? Would this OBX header fail? And what do you do with the O2 sensors & the engine light?

Thanks.
this header will fail a visual inspection because it removes a catalytic converter

Woot woot just got my header, gonna install it tomorrow. Is it just me or is the header a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures?

i just bought this from a member on the forum and i was a little concerned about the discoloration of the headers, will i be able to powdercoat it a different color so it wont discolor...TIA

Rawny12017 said:
i just bought this from a member on the forum and i was a little concerned about the discoloration of the headers, will i be able to powdercoat it a different color so it wont discolor...TIA
i don't see why there would be a problem powdercoating it unless powdercoating doesnt work on stainless steel

You don't powdercoat headers, they get way too hot. You can have it ceramic coated by someone like JetHot or Hyperkote, these coatings will also help dissipate the heat better.

i thought jetcoating SS in not a good idea cause it holds in too much heat --
i hear its good for mild steel :)

I heard that once, but when I talked to both companies about doing the pipes on my bike, they didn't have any problems with it. Might want to research it a little more, but I think its OK.

Hmmmmm I just realised when there is a ton of crap inside my header pipes. Should all that junk be cleaned out and how?

Its real simple. U will get a wiring diagram and u will just splice it into the 2nd o2 sensor wire. The 2nd o2 sensor disconnects via a plug. Solder and some heatshielding is a good idea too.

by the way, I went to Pep Boys to get a different gasket for the new header...the old one is totally a b**** to take off, be careful prying it off you'll chip it. Plus, if I had to put the old one back on I.E for inspection...I wouldn't have to worry about gaskets. Just a heads up for all of you and a recommendation.

duh....but the MIL is installed on the 2nd O2 towards the bottom of the header?

is the entire rad fan removed or just the shroud?

P5 Rally said:
duh....but the MIL is installed on the 2nd O2 towards the bottom of the header?

is the entire rad fan removed or just the shroud?
the mil is installed on the second o2 sensor towards the muffler, as for the radiator fan we removed it for a few mins to drop the header in easier, its just two screws and a power plug clip.

dosle said:
the mil is installed on the second o2 sensor towards the muffler, as for the radiator fan we removed it for a few mins to drop the header in easier, its just two screws and a power plug clip.
thx.............I'm guessing the header install is a 2 person job? any idea on how long it will take

Latest posts

Back