Thinking of buying a new P5 - have questions ...

GDogFast

Hi everyone:
I am totally new to the forum. This is my first post.

I have been lurking around for a while, soaking up all I can, because I am considering purchasing a new P5. I have always been a Wagon fan, and I just love the looks of this car and the way it is equipped. Although I haven't had a chance to really wring one of them out (salesmen get really weird when you slide around corners in one of their new cars), I hear the handling is really, REALLY good.

The one thing that everyone seems to want is more power. I too think the car could use about 20 more ponies. My question is this: Can I get that 20HP by bolting on a few aftermarket items? If so, what are they and where are they found? I have picked up a few Sport Compact magazines at the newstands and all they seem to talk about or sell parts for is Hondas, Acuras and some Mitsubiushi's.

If I can get this thing up to about 150HP or so (without a power adder), I think I will go for it. I don't care about the warrantee or having to run premium fuel.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gary

I just purchased an mp5 one week ago, and to be quite honest with you it has a very good power...when you step on the gas IT GOES... however, I'm not one to race, or smack the gas pedal down...the car doesn't weigh alot, and I think the engine is more than sufficient...however others like to drag......you'll just have to test drive one and decide for yourself...

I agree.

There's a power, reliability, and gas mileage equation at work here, and I'll take the best two out of three any day.

The power's just fine, the mileage is better than 30, and assuming the reliability is anything like a Miata, I may have this car 10 or 15 years . . . ;)

Don

Not exactly the kind of responses I was hoping for, guys! Don't any of you modify your cars? CAI, chips, cams, exhaust - whatever! Surely some of you have done something to get the power up. I just want to know what works and where to find it.

I've been lurking for almost 2 weeks now, and anytime anyone on this Forum is given the chance to evaluate their P5, they almost always say they wish it had more power. It is without a doubt the number one complaint.

Well ..... ?

1.) Search...sit down...bust out a cold one...and check all the p5 performance threads...

2.) Don't believe the hype...not every mod is worth it...

3.) Your basic boltons should suffice (intake, exhaust, header, pulleys)...do your research and pick whats right for you...the choice is not always clear. I don't think a chip upgrade on a NA 4 cylinder is worth it unless you've gone all out and in that case...run a stand alone system or like a greddy emanage system.

4.) Enjoy the site!

Antoine said:
1.) Search...sit down...bust out a cold one...and check all the p5 performance threads...

2.) Don't believe the hype...not every mod is worth it...

3.) Your basic boltons should suffice (intake, exhaust, header, pulleys)...do your research and pick whats right for you...the choice is not always clear. I don't think a chip upgrade on a NA 4 cylinder is worth it unless you've gone all out and in that case...run a stand alone system or like a greddy emanage system.

4.) Enjoy the site!

Thank You!

Just one question, though: Where's the best place to get these parts (intake, exhaust, header, pulleys)? As I said in my original post, I didn't see any ads in the magazines for Mazda parts.

you know you could just wait for mazdaspeed to release some parts, plus they won't void your warrantee, but you'll have to be patient

Man...
its a sport WAGon
ive come to deal terms with it
Sport compact car wrote an article a while back when WRx wagon, matrix, and protege5 were all coming out..
just take it as it is..
just cuz its called a wagon doesnt mean its one of those old crappy suby ones...
hehe

these are the new sport wagons : light, extremely attractive, and functional.

That's all there is to that....:D

Sorry all. Thanks for your help and support, but I decided to buy a 1.8T Jetta. A little more money, but a LOT more car. Hauls ASS - compared to the P5. Has 180hp stock, and just a chip takes it to 230. High level of refinement. Plus, there is a HUGE aftermarket of performance goodies for this car. I just couldn't get past the low power thing on the P5. My other car is a 350hp 347 stroker Fox Mustang. I need a certain minimum amount of power to be happy. It's a shame. I REALLY liked EVERYTHING else about the P5. It just needs more guts for me to plunk down my cash. Thanks again for all your help.
Gary

you may beat me off the line...oh wait..ive smoked golf 1.8t before =P
and in the curves..it isnt even a contest....haha..Mp5 outhandles ..period.

but i forgot who said it . "to each his own" i guess...

Protege Type 5 said:
you may beat me off the line...oh wait..ive smoked golf 1.8t before =P
and in the curves..it isnt even a contest....haha..Mp5 outhandles ..period.

but i forgot who said it . "to each his own" i guess...

Sorry but there is no way in hell that a P5 would beat a Golf 1.8T with the one mod of that chip. Unless the driver of the VW didn't have a clue how to drive. That would even give my SVT a run for the money and I can smoke P5's. Now if the P5 has a turbo vs stock VW 1.8T then that would be a race. Sorry but that is the truth.:)

I beat him 4 times in a row.
witness too many too mention.
that friend stopped racing for like 2months after that...i think the laughter from the crowds burned into his skull.

he sucks at driving.
If there was a way to be two of me..
one driving my mp5
one driving his 1.8t, i agree
1.8t should smoke mp5

but nope..not how it happened..sad thing is, he had his car for liek a year longer than I have..he shouldve mastered it..he always talked about going up to night races and burning people..
LIES...tha foo...i dunno why he wastes money tuning his car when he cant even drive it

More power to the P5 then! However, if I was that guy who owned that VW it would be for sale and I would be sticking to riding a bike. Ohh nevermind if he is that bad at driving I don't think I would want to see him trying to ride a bike.:p

Back