Mazda6 produced in USA

jaman

Hey Guys,

I just read that the new Mazda6 will be produced in AutoAlliance International Inc. in Flat Rock, MI., at least thats the case for the Canadian market. Personally I'd prefer the Japanese product, but oh well.

as long as it has good old fashioned Mazda engineering, I'm in!

I have to win the lottery, man. By the time the RX-8 comes out, I want to own the entire Mazda lineup!

(bluep5)

Auto Alliance Visit - Mazda 6

I visited Auto Alliance yersterday, I am IT Director for a supplier. Saw the new Mazda 6's everywhere. It is a pretty complete plant (Bodyshop, Paint, Assembly, Wire harness, Interior etc.), actually it is an absolutely massive plant. Saw some in the outside employee lots with manufacturer plates, some against the fence (inventory), some in test bays and validation areas, hundreds on the (shut down) production line.

We met with several managers and hourly guys during the morning. Of course you can not help but talk about the 6. It is a beautiful looking car, and seeing them on the line is amazing. Unfortunately they are in maintenance shut down, it is always cool to see the sparks flying but it gave me a chance to walk up to the cars on the line and see 6's in every imaginable production stage - from looking at body panels, to seeing several sitting with engines on hoists to seeing samples at the end of the line being 'tuned.'

Every color is killer, the styling is wonderful - should please everyone (family sedan shopper and sportier car fan) without compromising at all. A little lower than I expected for the pictures. I like the size, it is not as bulky as the Altima or awful new Toyota's. The interior reminds me a little of the new Cadillac CTS in terms of color and finish, they clean and modern. The seating position, and the way the cockpit hugs you is very nice. The main take away was the build quality, every panel looked perfect and the ol' door slam test was very solid. Admittedly these are the first cars off the line and there is a lot of attention to detail at this stage but all the UAW people were pumped up.

There are some MSP's at this site right now but I did not have a chance to peek at them, and saw none being driven or parked around the various areas. I have an MSP on order and if it wasn't for my lease expiring November 2nd on my Audi I'd wait for a 6.

Mazda is setting itself up for manufacturer of the year in 2003.

cheers
Andrew

Back